You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Menu Bar Stops Working

Hello, guys! I've been stumbling upon this bug from the new 1.9.1 version of the Affinity suite in general: at one point the menu bar stops working and I cannot select any tools, can't access the side windows (Character, Paragraph, etc,), can't even close the program from the close button. I have no idea why that happens, lately it's been happening a lot when I've been working with text. At least the shortcut keys work when choosing tools and I can continue interacting with the content on my artboards, but I can't use my layers, can't access any options and all that, so I have to Ctrl+S the document and force close it when I need something I can't do through keys. When I restart the application, everything works fine and then it happens again super randomly within the first couple of minutes of use and I have no idea what to do. I didn't have that problem in the previous versions - I even tried reinstalling the app and still the same things happen. Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I discovered for example that the problem persists only in Designer up until now and I've been temporarily substituting it with Illustrator (student's discount from uni), I don't have the same problem in Publisher or Photo. I have been exporting files in PDF and it's not specifically after that, normally it happens very randomly without a particular noticed pattern (drawing for a bit in Pixel persona with Pixel tool and then when I want to switch the persona I notice it doesn't let me click on anything outside of the artboard; adjusting elements in Designer persona and needing to change the tool, realising I can't click on anything outside the artboard, etc.). And again, I haven't had this problem with the previous versions before 1.9.1, if that could help in any way as information.

• Staff

Hi Anelia,

Have you accidentally disabled 'Edit All Layers' in the Layers Panel? With this not enabled it will prevent you from selecting objects on other artboards to the one you currently have selected in the Layers Panel.
image.png
If this is still not the case could you get a screen recording showing the behaviour you're getting please.

Hello! Last night I completely reset my laptop and worked in Designer afterwards for about 1-2 hours and did not have that issue, so it might have been something from my device, but it was a weird thing to experience nonetheless. Otherwise I used to get that bug within the first couple of minutes of work. I'll write here in case I experience it again, I really suppose it might have been from my laptop.

Thank you for sharing the function with the layers though, I had no idea that button was there and I needed it for quite some time now! I'm still transitioning from Adobe and I'm trying to get used to the software, it feels quite more intuitive and modern, but I do miss some functions like shape builder for example. Nonetheless it's a great set of apps, I'm looking forward to the future updates, I'm very impressed with how quickly new functions are being added!

• 2 years later...

This is still happening on my end with the 2.1.1 on Affinity Photo... You know, I'm really the kind of person who understands... But after paying for something twice, it gets really hard to not get mad at this company for this kind of bugs which really just interrupt the workflow. Guys, for the love of your gods, fix this! It's getting ridiculous.

1 hour ago, THEDZKO said:

This is still happening on my end with the 2.1.1 on Affinity Photo... You know, I'm really the kind of person who understands... But after paying for something twice, it gets really hard to not get mad at this company for this kind of bugs which really just interrupt the workflow. Guys, for the love of your gods, fix this! It's getting ridiculous.

It would be better to start a new topic, and fully describe your problem. Also, please include screenshots or a screen recording to demonstrate you're having. Thanks.

There was never any solid indication of a bug in the earlier discussion, and just saying you have the same problem doesn't provide enough information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...