You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manger Missing Images Bug

I think this bug has been discussed in the windows version of publisher, but don't see it here in the Mac section during a quick search.

Basically the Resource Manager is broken.

If I create a document with a picture frame linked to an image, and then that image location is moved to another folder, the Resource Manger will alert you that your image is missing. All good so far. But when you point the Resource Manger to the correct image location, the updated image is replaced with incorrect scale and position.

Ideally, if all linked images are moved to a "Linked Image" folder, you should be able to find one of the images and Publisher should recognize that the rest of the images are also now in this folder. Ideally.

But at the bare minimum, replacing an image that has lost its location should result in the new image inheriting the correct position and scale of the original.

Current workaround is to remove the image from the picture frame, replace the image, put it back in the picture frame. FOR EACH AND EVERY FRICKING IMAGE!!!!

31 minutes ago, Jeff McFarland said:

Ideally, if all linked images are moved to a "Linked Image" folder, you should be able to find one of the images and Publisher should recognize that the rest of the images are also now in this folder. Ideally.

When you Open the file, and Publisher notifies you that images are missing, try answering Yes rather than answering Resource Manager. Then find the image it asks for. That approach is, I think, supposed to then find the rest of them that are in the same folder. Some users find that it works, and some have said it doesn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here a sample where the "Yes"-feature doesn't update all related resources.

Still missing after running "Yes" successfully: –> 1:35 min
• It updates the file path correctly but still is "missing" its image. (> 'arrow.svg', 'verlauf.afdesign')
• It updates the file path for most resources while doesn't update the identical path for others. ('apples' on Master D)
• In a previous trial the"Yes"-action appeared to ignore sub-folders inside the re-linked resource folder – though when capturing this video they were included successfully (folders '_highres', '_low'). This makes me think APub reads/interprets the file path structure differently with various runs.

Wrong resource layout coordinates after replace via RM: –> 3:30 min
• An image in a picture frame gets assigned to an image copy at a different path –> APub positions it at a different position on page (here: 'apples' outside its picture frame)

It seems that the app preference "Automatically update linked resources…" doesn't affect path updates, in this video it's unticked.

By the way: I wonder why this "Yes"-feature (re-linking more than 1 resource at a time) doesn't also work when the .afpub is opened and 1 missing resource's path gets re-assigned. Is there any purpose/advantage for NOT updating other resource paths within this folder, too?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, Jeff McFarland said:

But at the bare minimum, replacing an image that has lost its location should result in the new image inheriting the correct position and scale of the original.
Current workaround is to remove the image from the picture frame, replace the image, put it back in the picture frame. FOR EACH AND EVERY FRICKING IMAGE!!!!

Full Ack.
There should be an option to type in the path for multiple images selected. Often only the images folder is renamed or moved up/down in hierarchy. It would be so much faster to just type in the correction of path rather then clicking through endless folders down to your destination. I really miss the days when every program offered to just type in the directory as default.

• 2 weeks later...