A_B_C

Media Browser previews caches not preserved?

Hi there,

I started to organize my photos in Apple’s Photos app, and fortunately the Media Browser works fine on my system. There’s only one thing that is a bit cumbersome … it takes a lot of time until all my preview thumbnails are displayed. It looks as if Affinity Photo (and Designer too) is re-caching all the previews on each restart of the app anew. First there appear the placeholders, and then one preview thumbnail after another … and the app uses a lot of CPU time just for this task …

I can’t imagine this should be the case … am I doing something wrong?  :huh:

Nevertheless, I am happy that the Media Browser works so far …

Alex  :)

post-1198-0-58158500-1443722429_thumb.png

post-1198-0-89617900-1443722709_thumb.png

Good sleuthing, Alex...

Hi there,

I started to organize my photos in Apple’s Photos app, and fortunately the Media Browser works fine on my system. There’s only one thing that is a bit cumbersome … it takes a lot of time until all my preview thumbnails are displayed. It looks as if Affinity Photo (and Designer too) is re-caching all the previews on each restart of the app anew. First there appear the placeholders, and then one preview thumbnail after another … and the app uses a lot of CPU time just for this task …

I can’t imagine this should be the case … am I doing something wrong?  :huh:

Nevertheless, I am happy that the Media Browser works so far …

Alex  :)

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

I don't think you're doing anything wrong as I'm seeing the same here. If you have a large album it could get annoying :/

I will see what I can find out :)

Although we have no immediate plans to add caching to this part of the app, it will definitely be improved in the future :)

Thanks, Leigh, for the information … oh yes, please add caching to this part of Affinity Photo and Designer. Honestly, it’s very cumbersome to use the Media Browser, when image recaching is performed on every restart of the app …  :(

But it’s good to know this issue is on your radar …  :)

Thanks again, Alex