You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher "Authorize global"

In the 1st or 2nd time of opening/using affinity publisher, I got a pop up asking to "authorize global" (access of files) or to "authorize a folder".
My question is how do you change this setting after the 1st pop-up?
I've been looking online, and cannot, find an answer to how to change the authorization to global(expanding authorization), or to change from global(limiting authorization)
Can someone help?
I do not see anything in the system preferences -> privacy -> "full disk access" section, so I think the setting is in the app somewhere.
(I have found threads talking about global authorization for plug-ins, but I'm not sure this is the same thing)

I am using the Mac App Store version in case that affects the answer.

Many thanks

Edited by BeeWinters

@BeeWinters

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Which Affinity app?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Warning: Windows user here :)

It would have to be a setting associated with an app, certainly, but not necessarilly one maintained by the app. (That is, not necessarily one where you would find a setting within the app itself.) On Windows, I would right-click on the application executable file, and choose Properties, then look in the Security section.

Perhaps something like that would apply to MacOS, too?

For example, see: https://www.cultofmac.com/56414/100-tips-25-whats-the-mac-equivalent-of-file-properties/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @BeeWinters,

My apologies for the delayed response both here, and in the other thread of a similar topic.

I have confirmed with our team here that the best way to select the 'Authorise Global' option is to force the application to show the same dialog as previous, where you can then select this option

As this isn't something I've tried to support before, I have a few different steps I'd like you to try:

Firstly, if you create a document in Publisher, then place a new Linked file from a location that you have not used previously, you should hopefully see this prompt appear, where you can then select 'Authorise Global'.

If this does not work, or you are unable to find a folder location that you have not used previously, then another option is to create a 'Package' and open this.

Please create a new document, then place one image anywhere in this doc.

Now, navigate to File > Save As Package and save this document to any folder on your Mac.

Now close this file and use File > Open to select the .afpackage file you have just created. When opening this file, you should see the prompt re-appear, where you can select 'Authorise Global'.

I hope this helps :)

Hi Dan,

Really appreciate you checking this with the team.

I would like to try this carefully when I have more time than just modifying documents on my hands, but I will be sure to try this out. Thank you very much!

This sounds like it may be a relatively difficult setting to reverse though. Although I may not have an immediate need, I am curious.

Is it not possible to reverse once done?

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, BeeWinters said:

Is it not possible to reverse once done?

(This is Big Sur, I'm not sure if applies to earlier versions of macOS.)

From the Apple Menu, try opening System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy and checking down the list:

1659993577_Screenshot2021-02-26at18_01_09.png.1f0550fac2cb2f8b18a9d1ee2d382ddd.png

This should show you which applications have access to which folders.

If you can't see Publisher, then also check the Full Disk Access section.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.