You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Cannot set style for bullet numbers

Hi folks, here I am asking for help again. It's probably nothing, but I've been searching on these forums for over an hour an still can't find the answer.

Here's my problem : I would like to apply a different style to the bullet number at the start of my chapter title (see capture), and as far as I understood from all the forum posts I read, this should be possible. I went in my paragraph style settings, in the "bullets and numbering" section, and typed a name inside the "Name" field. I then created a style with the same name, hoping that my bullet number would take it, but it didn't. I also tried toggling the "Global" checkbox to the right of the name field, but it didn't seel to have an effect. It's actually undocumented in Publisher's help files...

Anyone knows how this works ?

Cheers,

Hadrien

ap_bullet_style.PNG

You will first need to set up a character style the way you want the numbers. Then you choose the style from the list of character styles in the Styles dropdown list in the Bullets and Numbering section of the. Paragraph style.

736459993_ScreenShot2020-11-24at5_58_35AM.png.418459a23f49ef8c525d48c2dd03da1f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 3:05 PM, Hadriscus said:

Oooooh it had to be a character style ! Thank you so much @Old Bruce ! I couldn't see what I was doing wrong, the style in question was a paragraph style so it didn't show up in the list.

Thank you ! Have an excellent day !

Hadrien

I have experienced this as well as other troubles while trying to set up the format for a list with bullets and numbers. 

What confuses me even more on Old Bruce's post is that he is mentioning, that this setting has to be done through the character setttings. But his printscreen is showing the **paragraph** setting section. 

For me it seems, that the format adjustments have to be done in an specific order, even if you stay in the settings page for paragraphs.

Some the settings seem to me not getting updated in the background. This leads to unpredicted format changes of the bulltet and number tool because it changes the values erratically. 

For changes afterwards OR when it was still not working I had to set the list paragraph to "NO STYLE" in the "Texstyle Tab" (View - Studio - Textstyles or sth similar). 

2 hours ago, Jayenbee said:

What confuses me even more on Old Bruce's post is that he is mentioning, that this setting has to be done through the character setttings. But his printscreen is showing the **paragraph** setting section. 

That's because you establish a bulleted or numbered list with a paragraph text style, or directly as a paragraph setting. The entire paragraph gets the bullet or number.

But to format the bullet or number, without formatting the rest of the paragraph, you need to use a character style. So you define a character style, and then reference it within the Bullets and Numbering settings of the paragraph settings.

2 hours ago, Jayenbee said:

For me it seems, that the format adjustments have to be done in an specific order, even if you stay in the settings page for paragraphs.

Some the settings seem to me not getting updated in the background. This leads to unpredicted format changes of the bulltet and number tool because it changes the values erratically. 

For changes afterwards OR when it was still not working I had to set the list paragraph to "NO STYLE" in the "Texstyle Tab" (View - Studio - Textstyles or sth similar).

If you're doing things in the proper order as described above, and you are getting odd results, please provide a video and/or a complete list of the steps to demonstrate the problem. Without that we can only guess at what you're experiencing, but with it we can (I hope) explain what's happening and determine if it's a program or usage problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1