You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How about "Master-Masks" ?

Since I am far from being a Pro-User, I am not aware if such a feature perhaps already exists...

How about something I would call "Master Masks"?

Often I find myself in the situation where I want to appy an effect only to a certain area (e.g. the sky)
and apply a different adjustment to the exact opposite area (everthing except the sky).

I think in situations like this a "Master Mask" would be useful:
Create one mask and use it (perhaps even inverted.. ) for multiple layers.
Changes to that one "master mask" should apply to all layers that use this "master".

What do you think?

Fritz_H...

I think that what you're describing is similar to what others have called "node-based" editors, where a mask (or an adjustment, a channel, etc) can be applied multiple times at multiple stages during the editing process. I confess that I find this confusing, but there are other who swear this is the way to go.

You can actually accomplish something really similar by using the Channels panel. First, make a selection of the area you want to create for your first mask (the sky, in your example). In the Channels panel, right click on the line labelled "Pixel Selection" and choose "Create Spare Channel." In my example (below) I have selected the flower and created a Spare Channel which I then renamed "Just the Flower." Then, I inverted my selection, created a Spare Channel, and renamed it "Everything But the Flower."

You can then create all the adjustments, filters, etc. that you want. For instance, I created an HSL adjustment to turn the pink flower to yellow. Of course, this initially affects the entire picture. However, with the adjustment layer selected (in the Layers panel) you can right click on the Spare Channel in the Channels panel and choose "Load to <AdjustmentName> Alpha." This changes the Alpha channel of the adjustment layer and, effectively, creates a Mask from the "Just the Flower" Spare Channel. You can assign the inverted Spare Channel to other adjustments, as I did when I created a Black and White adjustment and loaded the "Everything But the Flower" Spare Channel to that.

I think this will accomplish what you're looking for.

1113486808_LoadtoAlphaChannel.jpg.45f5386d020be1710676108838b42c21.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 hours ago, smadell said:

You can actually accomplish something really similar by using the Channels panel.
(...)
I think this will accomplish what you're looking for.

Thanks for your effort to explain that method to me - honestly those "channels" are "uncharted territory" for me...
I would appreciate a more simple and intuitive method.

• Staff

Hi Fritz_H,
If you don't want to mess with channels, create your selection of the sky or the first subject you want, then click the mask icon on the bottom of the Layers panel to create a mask from the selection. To use an inverted mask, duplicate the mask you created moments ago and go to menu Layer > Invert. You know have two masks - one of the first selection and one of the inverted selection. Then copy them as needed and drag them over the layers of the adjustments and/or filters to apply them to them. Check below for a sample file (drag the masks over the Recolour adjustment layer to see their effect).

masks.afphoto

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Fritz_H,
If you don't want to mess with channels, create your selection of the sky or the first subject you want, then click the mask icon on the bottom of the Layers panel to create a mask from the selection. To use an inverted mask, duplicate the mask you created moments ago and go to menu Layer > Invert. You know have two masks - one of the first selection and one of the inverted selection. Then copy them as needed and drag them over the layers of the adjustments and/or filters to apply them to them. Check below for a sample file (drag the masks over the Recolour adjustment layer to see their effect).

masks.afphoto

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps the key-point (?) of my idea got lost in translation:
I think about one (1 !)  mask - which can be used in/for multiple layers - either 1:1 or inverted.
(I mentioned the inverted - option in my original-posting just to increase the usefulness of such a master-mask)

If I change/edit this one "master mask" this change will affect all layers that utilize this master-mask.

Perhaps it´s easier to visualize it like master-pages in DTP or slide-masters in PPT.

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Fritz_H,
I didn't notice this thread was in the Feature Requests & Suggestions section. My apologies. I didn't intended to devalue your post in any way. Thanks for your support/feedback.

? "devalue" ? did not see it that way - Your answer just made me unsure (uncertain?) whether I could explain my idea properly/intelligibly...

• Staff

Hi Fritz_H
Your initial post (now that i've read it properly) was clear. I simply just saw @smadell explanation post and your reply/comment about the Channels and tried to offer an alternative without realizing this thread was in the Feedback for Affinity Photo section and not asking about possible solutions. You could have taken it wrongly, thinking the "solution" proposed would serve your intend/solve the issue thus devaluing your suggestion, but that wasn't the case at all.

I understand you liked to see some sort of linked layers - masks in this particular instance - with the possibility to quickly invert them when necessary keeping them linked for easy editing.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, Fritz_H said:

Changes to that one "master mask" should apply to all layers that use this "master".

Group the layers then add a mask to the group

Or explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve (diagrams/screenshots)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

Group the layers then add a mask to the group

A masked group doesn't allow for the mask being inverted for some layers.

A masked group doesn't allow for a stack of interleaved masked layers and non-masked layers.

Affinity apps have broken rendering of masked groups. No fix despite reports being posted repeatedly for years.