You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Polygonal selection problem

Hi everybody,

I do quite a bit of cutting out scans for further colorization and for that I use the polygonal lasso, because I can't keep an enough steady hand for the entire selection using the freehand lasso, and the cutouts can get really intricate in places -not to mention some parts are actually pretty straight so it makes most sense to use the polygonal over the freehand. Anyway, once in a while the selection suddenly validates, seemingly on its own -cutting mindelessly through the selection outline I just carefully drew. Over time I found this was because some of my clicks were happening too close together in time, and this triggered the double-click event, and double-click does guess what... it closes the selection. Now I get this is "standard behaviour" in most programs but with this particular tool, it happens to get in the way : this tool's usage is intrisically a series of clicks, and the action of closing the selection is also a "series of clicks", there is a clash. It's not even actually necessary to have this, because a selection can be closed two other ways : by releasing the click (freehand) or clicking the starting node (polygonal), so it's not like double-click is necessary in order to close the selection.

I may have missed a preference to disable this, please point me to it if I did. If not I would like to request for this to be deactivate-able, or to give users deeper access to the keymap : right now tool modal keymaps seem to be hardcoded (such as the modifier keys to either substract, add or replace a selection, etc).

Thanks for your attention,

Hadrien

edit : just to clear things up, these double-clicks are not always intentional. Most often they're not : it's the intrinsic inaccuracy of the pen that makes me accidentally double-click sometimes. It happens in other software, other contexts, etc. but in this particular situation, when it does it leads to the problem aforementioned.

On the odd occasions when this happens to me, I simply make an overlapping polygonal selection with ‘Add’ mode activated.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Wouldn't Undo fix it? It should be obvious enough when it happens that you'd notice it immediately.

In any case, on Windows the mouse properties can be used to adjust what is considered a double-click vs two single clicks:
image.png.1f882331eeb0b73e8f78f8346b602a5a.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @Alfred for the tip. That's a good idea. @walt.farrell yes it does, however I have to then redo the selection, and that's where the problem lies. When it happens it screws up the last operation, so I have come to make my entire selections in batches of smaller, "less risky" selections, which helps work around the issue. And indeed the double-click speed can be adjusted ! unfortunately I am already set to the highest. The accidental double-clicks must be in the range of <150ms or something like that, and they're hard to avoid. Thanks to you both for your input.

Hadrien

On 10/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, Hadriscus said:

however I have to then redo the selection, and that's where the problem lies

If you look at the Channels panel, you should see an entry in there for the pixel selection (when you have one made).

Right-click on that and choose "Create Spare Channel" to create a spare channel capturing the selection.

You can then recreate the selection later by right-clicking on the resulting spare channel and choosing "Load To Pixel Selection".

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

If you look at the Channels panel, you should see an entry in there for the pixel selection (when you have one made).

Right-click on that and choose "Create Spare Channel" to create a spare channel capturing the selection.

You can then recreate the selection later by right-clicking on the resulting spare channel and choosing "Load To Pixel Selection".

That's not what I meant, but thanks for the tip ! I am aware of spare channels, they're invaluable.

When I say "redo", I just mean whatever selection I just tried to make and was botched by the aforementioned glitch has to be redone -done at all, in fact. I did not mean "to retrieve a selection previously made".