You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Same Features for both Windows & Mac OS

Dear Affinity Developer,

1.It’s to be niced if the same features for both Windows & Mac OS, for i.e the “Search Menu” for searching the context menu & automatic hide the Main Menu in the top will be hide/unhide, both features availabe not only for Mac OS.

2. Default setting for measurement unit under Prefference Menu, this feature to avoid to change the measurement unit every create a document.

3.More sleamless Studio Panel not so reduce the widht off Spread area.

Thank you for the kind attention. 🙏

6 hours ago, HANDJOJO said:

1.It’s to be niced if the same features for both Windows & Mac OS, for i.e the “Search Menu” for searching the context menu & automatic hide the Main Menu in the top will be hide/unhide, both features availabe not only for Mac OS.

Yes it would be nice, but those features are provided by MacOS, and are not provided by Windows. Therefore they're not available on the Windows version, as Serif relies on the OS for some product functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes it would be nice, but those features are provided by MacOS, and are not provided by Windows. Therefore they're not available on the Windows version, as Serif relies on the OS for some product functions.

Unfortunately only exclusively for MAC OS, should be reconsider it for Windows's user.

7 hours ago, HANDJOJO said:

should be reconsider it for Windows's user.

I think you misread the response.

You would need to ask Microsoft, not Serif, to reconsider providing the functionality in that first item, as on the Mac it is provided by Apple.

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

I think you misread the response.

You would need to ask Microsoft, not Serif, to reconsider providing the functionality in that first item, as on the Mac it is provided by Apple.

Thanks for your advise, off course I don’t know if this feature provide by Mac OS not Serif developing, since I’m a Windows user.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

By the way, #2 doesn't exist on the Mac either.

If you want to override the units specified in the preset/template, the best option is to change the units and save your own user preset which is configured the way you want it.

The usual form of request #2 is for a preference that would control both New documents and non-native documents that are Opened (which generally default to "px" today). Presets only help with New documents; a Preference would be needed to handle other documents that are Opened.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The usual form of request #2 is for a preference that would control both New documents and non-native documents that are Opened (which generally default to "px" today). Presets only help with New documents; a Preference would be needed to handle other documents that are Opened.

Yes, but the overarching theme of this particular request was for parity between the platforms, so I am interpreting the request in that context - and pointing out that there already is parity.

If that is not what the OP wants, it should be in another thread as then it is a separate feature request and they should not be combined in a single thread, as per the guidelines provided by Serif.

What I mean for concern to no.2, is the default setting for the default Unit for a document  for i.e every I create a documents the Unit in Centimeter,  I just sett the unit in Centimeter in Preference as a default, so I don't need every time create a document I should setting a unit on every create the document, this setting to practice it. As per sample attached.

B/regards,

Default Units & Measurments.jpg

4 hours ago, HANDJOJO said:

As per sample attached.

What is that sample from?

-- Walt
PC:

In Publisher, the units come from the template/preset that is selected.

Even if you had a global setting, the preset or template would be more specific than a global setting, and would in general override it, so the only time that setting might be in effect would be for non-Affinity documents being imported.

This makes a lot of sense, as you might want to have photo or UI design documents in units of pixels, with page layout documents (for the printed page) in inches, centimeters or other similar real-world unit.

If you don't like the units that are baked into the default presets, you can always create your own presets with whatever units you want and use those when creating the documents.