You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Struggeling with transformation point description and behaviour

First of all I have to admit that English is not my first language and that I might be struggling with my language knowledge here. But since the german translation does not properly describe what's happening I checked for the English description as well and still think some things are wrong.

Choose the framed text box and type a word. Switch to the MOVE tool and have a look at the transformation points. The frame box has got 10 transformation points. 4 at each corner, 4 at the middle of each side, a rotation point outside the frame and a resize box for the content outside the frame at the right bottom.

When I drag the bottom right corner of the frame I resize the frame with unconstrained aspect ratio. In the description below it says: "SHIFT to maintain aspect ratio" ... this seems precisely what it does. Now grabbing the transformation point outside the frame at the bottom right corner to resize the frame including the text first of all it behaves (unexpectedly) different from the bottom right corner. It instantly resizes with the original aspect ratio of the frame. Pressing shift leads to unconstrained resize of the frame incl. text. Despite this inverted behavior the text below says "SHIFT to preserve aspect ratio" what seems to be precisely the opposite of the way the tool behaves.

Frankly spoken I don't see the difference between "maintaining" and "preserving" the aspect ratio.
Secondly I don't understand why the two corners behave differently. I would expect and love to see both transformation corners in normal state resize with original aspect ratio and pressing SHIFT will lead to unconstrained resizing - in BOTH cases! This seems to be first of all wrong (behaviour vs help text below for the outside transformation point - wrong in German language as well) - secondly really irritating (since both transformation points have a different initial behaviour)

Maybe someone can help me understand this.

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

4 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

I don't see the difference between "maintaining" and "preserving" the aspect ratio

Neither do I, Timo! And I agree that the action of the outer handle should be constrained in the same way as the action of any corner handle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

Neither do I, Timo! And I agree that the action of the outer handle should be constrained in the same way as the action of any corner handle.

Preferences, Tools has a preference for how the Move Tool works, and by default the behavior is based on the kind of object and (apparently) the handle you use.

image.png.9268e7701405f9be7a95f2392f17d38a.png

You can change that preference to get a consistent behavior, if you want.

To me, it makes sense that when the behavior is set to the default (Automatic) that Shift would work differently for one of the corner handles than for the disconnected "scaling" handle.

• There is no inherent aspect ratio for a Text Frame, so using one of the attached corner handles would not maintain an aspect ratio by default, and pressing Shift would tell Affinity to maintain the current aspect ratio.
  • On the other hand, when using the scaling handle, you are changing both the size of the frame, and the size of the text it contains, and the text does have an inherent aspect ratio. Therefore, the Move tool (when set to Automatic in the Preferences) would preserve the aspect ratio automatically, and pressing Shift would tell Affinity you do not want to preserve it.

However, I agree that the Status Bar text should be correct.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Indeed, Walt - thanks for that input. I wasn't aware of it. At least the tools behave consistent now - I much prefer it that way!
And the status bar is a minor detail in comparison to the far more significant behaviour of the transformation points (just my 2 cents)

Very much appreciated!
Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

You're welcome, Timo.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Although the different behavior (aspect/no-aspect) of the two handles may be logical for knowledgeable users, it is completely confusing for most users, which is only helped by the incorrect description in the Status bar.

Two years ago, I proposed a behavior-dependent cursor change (no/aspec) to make it obvious to users at first glance.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

By the way, the discussion about the  error in the message wording in the Status Bar more properly belongs in the Bugs forum, not the Beta forum, in my opinion. It is not new behavior with the beta.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.