You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

delete of layers does not work

srg

• Staff

Hi srg,
I'm having trouble reproducing this. Can you give us a few more details please? Is this happening with a specific file or with other documents as well including when you create  anew one from scratch? Any chance you can record a small video (full screen9 showing this happening with the Layers panel visible? What macOS version are you running? Thank you.

15 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi srg,
I'm having trouble reproducing this. Can you give us a few more details please? Is this happening with a specific file or with other documents as well including when you create  anew one from scratch? Any chance you can record a small video (full screen9 showing this happening with the Layers panel visible? What macOS version are you running? Thank you.

Hi, I was not precise. Here is what I do: I highlight the layer I want to delete and then click delete on my keyboard and it does not delete it. The only way I can delete the layer is right clicking the mouse and then hit delete in the dropdown menu. in the video I could not show the clicking of delete on the keyboard but you can imagine it before I right click and visualize the menu.

36 minutes ago, jfg said:

I have the same problem. Unfortunately not with all layers but I cannot find a rule for this behavior. Sometime I can delete with the keyboard some it doesn't work and I must use the pulldown menu.

Alternatively, you could press the delete icon (the trashcan) at the bototm of the Layers panel, or drag the layer down to the trashcan, if you find those easier than using the pulldown menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thank you, I overlooked that. Still what mentioned above should be fixed. I believe AP is very good I use it with satisfaction but there are little bugs and glitches that make it not user friendly. And that can be a problem.

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi srg,
Thanks for the details. Are you running macOS Catalina? Do you have an idea if this started happening recently (after updating to Photo 1.8.4) or did you experienced it before with older versions?

Hi Meb, maybe off topic, but I have the same problem running Win 10: delete a layer with DEL on the keyboard sometimes has no result (it worked always perfectly until 1.8.5.703).

• Staff

Thanks Claudio60.

I believe you are having trouble deleting a layer because there's a pixel selection active somewhere - sometimes the marching ants may not be displayed on screen (because the opacity of the selection is too low), have been hidden (menu View > Show Pixel Selection), the selection area is too small to be easily perceptible/visible or due to other operations where the selection ants may become invisible (outside the document canvas for example). Next time it happens or in case you have a document where you are having trouble deleting a layer can you please try press cmd + D on macOS or CTRL+D on Windows or go to menu Select > Deselect and check if you can then delete the layer with the keyboard please? At least to rule this out. 
Let me know if that was the cause of the issue of if you are still having issues.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi srg,
Thanks for the details. Are you running macOS Catalina? Do you have an idea if this started happening recently (after updating to Photo 1.8.4) or did you experienced it before with older versions?

Thank you MEB, it has been happening in previous version too. 223827034_ScreenShot2020-09-10at11_06_01AM.png.33f13da20648d84b55f4dc80a39a2bf9.png