You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open any of my Illustrator PDF files (split)

Hello,

I recently purchased (3 months ago) the Affinity program Series to use instead of Adobe. I understood the concern of opening file with Adobe origins but Affinity claimed that PDF files would open. But it actually does not. I just tried with a PDF file that was created on Illustrator 4 which didn't preserve Illustrator capabilities but AD crashed instead of opening!! I can't open any of my Illustrator PDF files. Please help.

Thank you.

Fabrice Covelli - Brooklyn NY

Neda Multi-cutter jig + knife cutter sides to laser cut [Converted] 02.pdf

Edited by FabriceC
To add a PDF file

Hi Mike, You are very kind to get back to me that quick. Thank you. 

So you were able to open my document with your AD but I just tried again on my Mac and it didn't...

I Have a new Mac with Catalina System version 10.15.6. Can you then tell me why I can't open those PDF? 

Both worked fine here too,

First  (I have changed the file names, sorry) Neda Multi-cutter jig sides to laser cut02.afdesign 

second Neda to laser cut v2.afdesign

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

56 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Both opened fine also in Publisher on macOS Mojave. Could this be a Catalina issue or one related to use of Metal acceleration (use of which I suppose can be turned off)? 

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Both worked fine here too,

First  (I have changed the file names, sorry) Neda Multi-cutter jig sides to laser cut02.afdesign 

second Neda to laser cut v2.afdesign

Thank you Bruce for sending back my file after opening it. I can open it naw with my AD.

5 hours ago, FabriceC said:

Does anyone using Mac Catalina has AD crashing when opening a PDF doc?

I run Catalina on my iMac. I can open all of your PDF's included in this topic without problems (other than line thicknesses being too narrow to see).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R, thank you for following up. That is so weird I am been in trouble with this since I got My new Mac 3 months ago and purchased the Affinity suite (and said bye bye to Adobe). I guess you don't have any problem with saving a doc as PDF, are you?

I don't understand where this trouble comes from nor how I could fix it...