You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool Issue

John-C

I was asked by a friend to crop a phone photo down to passport size. I opened up the image, selected the Crop Tool, switched to Resample, set the DPI to 300dpi and the units to Centimetres. Passport photos are 3.5cm by 4.5cm so I tried to add those numbers, but the crop went really weird, it changes my inputs to crazy numbers. I couldn't get it work no matter what I did. In the end I made a new document 3.5cm by 4.5cm at 300dpi and brought the photo in and resized it with the document. Then exported it.

In the attached JPEG the top image is a new document 3.5 x 4.5 cm @ 300dpi. The second image is when I activated the Crop Tool. The third when I set it to Resample the dpi to 300, units to Centimetres. When I try to add 3.5 and 4.5 to the boxes Affinty Photo instead just makes them 62775.13cm and 413.39cm. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but this seems to be a bug. I have tried this on my laptop and desktop machines, which both run Windows 10 Home, same results!

Crop Box Issues.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've found out probably "buggy" behaviour of crop tool in Affinity Photo (ver. 1.10.5.1342 / win 10 Pro).

In this video 

in time 4:33 is nicely explained how to crop and resample the image at the same time. I tried to mimic this procedure in latest version of Affinity photo and results doesn't correspond with video example, nor to expected behaviour of  this tool, please find attached screen record.

Is it really BUG or I do something wrong?

Mikulas

Hi, @Mikulas and welcome to the forums.

I can confirm that. If you use imperial messurement everything works fine, but if you use the metric system the value is multiplied. However, the resolution ratio is divided by the same factor.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

In my case nor imperial units don't solve the problem.

The only option is to use as first: Document / Resize document / switch off "Resample" checkbox / set DPI / Save (Resize) and then use Crop tool / resample mode / set the units / set the required dimensions.