You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone

I've been a book designer [Penguin Books] since I care not to remember suffice it to say I had to specify type for hot metal compositing and have progressed through the early-day horrors of Linotype cold metal through PageMaker, QuarkXpress, InDesign and now Affinity Publisher, a sterling job has been done, but there are a number of missing features I just cannot bend Publisher to my will!!

I have problems creating a text box to contain a "Pull-Quote" I want a 1pt rule above the text and a 2pt rule below the centered text. That was possible ...

That results in the rule above and below to conform to the width of the associated text lines. What I cannot do it to force the rules to extend to the edge of the containing frame.

Assuming you're using Paragraph Decorations, just set the Left and Right values to Column rather than the default of Text:

image.png.12cd431fb56c78891815c8e4dcfc8c8b.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you need a different stroke width for top and bottom you cannot do this with a single paragraph as there can only be one stroke width defined per paragraph. In the attached example I used a second paragraph.

decorations.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

If you need a different stroke width for top and bottom you cannot do this with a single paragraph as there can only be one stroke width defined per paragraph. ...

Probably misunderstanding you.

24 minutes ago, Peter Tucker said:

I have problems creating a text box to contain a "Pull-Quote" I want a 1pt rule above the text and a 2pt rule below the centered text. That was possible ...

That results in the rule above and below to conform to the width of the associated text lines. What I cannot do it to force the rules to extend to the edge of the containing frame.

I've attached a sample.

pull-quote.afpub

18 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

If you need a different stroke width for top and bottom you cannot do this with a single paragraph as there can only be one stroke width defined per paragraph. In the attached example I used a second paragraph.

You can define multiple decorations. Just use one for the top, and a second decoration for the bottom, and you can then specify different weights for the rules.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for the replies, i worked out you can have two different weights one for top and one for bottom by adding a second decoration.

What I cannot do is to extend the rule decoration to the extremity of the containing frame. It will conform to the actual width of the text.

2 minutes ago, Peter Tucker said:

Thanks for the replies, i worked out you can have two different weights one for top and one for bottom by adding a second decoration.

What I cannot do is to extend the rule decoration to the extremity of the containing frame. It will conform to the actual width of the text.

Try this... make the Pull Quote's text frame wider and make the Pull Quote's Paragraph Style to have a text offset on the left and right.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 minutes ago, Peter Tucker said:

Did you look at the sample APub doc above?

These are the setting for Dec 1, same with Dec 2...

Capture_000675.png.7addf3eaca12f74b40736b0900baaed9.png

Thanks to everybody and I have to apologize for being wrong. Yes, multiple Decorations with different settings are possible. At first I was only thinking of them as independent sets not applyable to the same paragraph. Nice effects can be done here, like double lines or dotted lines on a different background to name a few.

If you want to stack the lines, Decoration 1 is the bottom decoration, Decoration 2 next one higher and so on. Is there a limit for decorations? After 237 decorations I lost interest. :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I have an additional question to this, I have tried a search but not found an answer.

A text box, with 2 columns containing captions for pic below I want a fine box rule above extending to full box width  to separate the captions from the main body text.

I've mocked up using a horizontal rule in the screen grab ...

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.57.12.png

22 minutes ago, Peter Tucker said:

I have an additional question to this, I have tried a search but not found an answer.

A text box, with 2 columns containing captions for pic below I want a fine box rule above extending to full box width  to separate the captions from the main body text.

I've mocked up using a horizontal rule in the screen grab ...

I'm not sure if the strikethrough indicates you've figured out the answer, or if it was a mistake in formatting your post :)

In any case, I think you will need to draw a line (horizontal rule) to accomplish that. Note that once drawn, you can adjust its position and then Pin it to your text (Or, perhaps, Group it with the Text Frame) to make sure it stays with the text if things move around.

-- Walt
PC:

Doing it with decorations: Let's say each column has 50 mm and the gap 5 mm. So the left indent has to be 0 mm (column) and the right indent has to be -55 mm (column).

------