You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow editing of linked files in non-Affinity apps

I think this could be a deal-breaker for many.

When users right click on a *linked* PSD in Publisher, the resulting menu does not enable users to open that PSD in Photoshop.

InDesign has this very essential right-click workflow, but Publisher does not.

In order to try and mimic this process in Publisher, users currently would need to:

1. Click the linked image.

2. Go to Document > Resource Manager (the linked image is highlighted)

3. Click "Show in finder".

4. Double click PSD in finder to then edit the image in Photoshop.

I would love to escape the subscription-based model of other software, but not being able to jump over to Photoshop with a right-click is hard to swallow.

9 hours ago, photoshop1.0 said:

I would love to escape the subscription-based model of other software, but not being able to jump over to Photoshop with a right-click is hard to swallow.

As I already said in another thread: Get APhoto (best with ADesigner to have the full package) and more or less you never have to leave APublisher.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

An "Open With" / "Edit With" type functionality for linked files is a very reasonable request and in fact has been requested already in other threads.

I agree that switching to Affinity Photo would allow for a better workflow for most users for this specific scenario and that this is certainly not a "deal breaker", but that doesn't decrease the value of the feature being requested.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

I agree that switching to Affinity Photo would allow for a better workflow for most users for this specific scenario and that this is certainly not a "deal breaker", but that doesn't decrease the value of the feature being requested.

My initial thoughts exactly.

But then, not everybody wishes to edit PSD files in Affinity Photo. So, the suggestion of being able to set a photo editing application for picture files in Publisher seems quite a good one.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

In fact, you cannot Edit a Linked PSD file in Publisher at all. Nor can you Edit Linked PDF, SVG, EPS, or other non-Affinity document files.

(Tested with the 1.8.4.651 beta, which I think has fixed some bugs in this area that existed in 1.8.3.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, walt.farrell said:

In fact, you cannot Edit a Linked PSD file in Publisher at all. Nor can you Edit Linked PDF, SVG, EPS, or other non-Affinity document files.

(Tested with the 1.8.4.651 beta, which I think has fixed some bugs in this area that existed in 1.8.3.)

I was not referring to editing PSDs in Publisher.

From my initial post...

"When users right click on a *linked* PSD in Publisher, the resulting menu does not enable users to open that PSD in Photoshop."

33 minutes ago, photoshop1.0 said:

I was not referring to editing PSDs in Publisher.

I was responding to those who suggested you could simply edit it in Photo.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I was responding to those who suggested you could simply edit it in Photo.

Of course you can edit PSD files in Photo. I'm not sure what you mean.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

31 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Of course you can edit PSD files in Photo. I'm not sure what you mean.

If you have a Linked PSD file in Publisher (as the OP mentioned), you cannot Edit it within Publisher. You will have a Replace Document button, but no Edit Document button.

Yes, you could send the complete Publisher document to Photo, but that's different.

-- Walt
PC:

On 5/9/2020 at 9:49 AM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, you could send the complete Publisher document to Photo, but that's different.

Is that literally the only way that we can edit an individual photo which is linked within Publisher? We have to send the entire document to Photo?

I have not had a chance to experiment with editing a linked PSD in Photo (not Photoshop) yet, but I am hoping there is a better way. At the very least, I am hoping we can use the 4-step process that I mentioned above until Serif builds in a right-click menu solution (or equivalent 1-click manoeuvre).

1 hour ago, photoshop1.0 said:

Is that literally the only way that we can edit an individual photo which is linked within Publisher? We have to send the entire document to Photo?

Please be careful of terminology. You do not have a photo linked within Publisher. You have a PSD file, which is a linked document, not a linked photo (image). The capabilities of Publisher for dealing with linked or embedded objects depend strongly on the kind of object you have.

If you actually had a linked photo (TIFF, JPG, or PNG) you could simply click on Edit Image in the Context Toolbar, or double-click on its layer in the Layers panel, or (I think) double-click the object on the page. That would open it for editing in a new tab in Publisher, and at that point you could switch to the Photo Persona and edit the image as you want. When you save your edits back to the original image file using File > Save, then Publisher will detect the change and ask if you want to update the view of it in the Publisher document. (Or, with your Preferences set to enable it, Publisher will simply automatically update the local view of the linked image file.

But linked document files (except linked .afphoto, .afdesign, and .afpub files) work differently. Some can be Edited that way, but some cannot. Linked PSD files cannot.

-- Walt
PC: