You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ragged Edges on All Brushstrokes

My brush strokes & brushes in Affinity Designer/Photo always have ragged/pixelated/AA-artifacts no matter the resolution of the document.

I have made sure I am using the Brush tool and not the pixel brush tool. The same problem consists whether I toggle Windows Ink on/off in either the Wacom settings or Photo/Designer settings.

RTX-2080Ti / Wacom Intuous PTH Tablest / Windows 10

s.PNG

The smaller the width of the brush, the worse the antialias... I think. Below 80 pixels it begins to look like your examles:

36 pixels vs 400 used:

image.png.67736603be8ba81950556a36660595da.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 3 months later...

@swobyman777 @Sean PI can explain what's going on here. It's something I noticed years ago when picking up Affinity Photo. It's all related to brush hardness. Compared to Photoshop, Affinity has much sharper brushes with next to no anti-aliasing when reaching 100%. However, you can get the brushes to look a bit more like regular Photoshop brushes by changing brush hardness to 99%. It produces a slight blur on super massive brushes, but nothing that would be super noticeable in most projects. In the vast majority of cases the brush will have that anti-alias look. Here's a video demonstration.

5 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@swobyman777 @Sean PI can explain what's going on here. It's something I noticed years ago when picking up Affinity Photo. It's all related to brush hardness. Compared to Photoshop, Affinity has much sharper brushes with next to no anti-aliasing when reaching 100%. However, you can get the brushes to look a bit more like regular Photoshop brushes you have to change it to 99%. It produces a slight blur on massive brushes, but nothing that would be super noticeable in most projects. In the vast majority of cases the brush will have that anti-alias look however. Here's a video demonstration.

omg thank you so much for clarifying this. mods should sticky this as anyone who uses photo for art may experience this.

17 minutes ago, swobyman777 said:

omg thank you so much for clarifying this. mods should sticky this as anyone who uses photo for art may experience this.

Glad to hear it was useful! To me it's one of those "Is it a bug or a feature?" type of deals. In some cases it's super useful to have super sharp brushes, in other times not so much. ^-^