Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, so if not, please direct me to the correct section.

Two very important files that will not open. When I open in Affinity Photo, the message I get is "This File type not supported." I created this file in the 1.7 program. I'm currently working with the newest version, which is 1.8.3

Any help would be appreciated.

product-template-lg.afphoto product-template.afphoto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steverdezines said:

Two very important files that will not open. When I open in Affinity Photo, the message I get is "This File type not supported." I created this file in the 1.7 program. I'm currently working with the newest version, which is 1.8.3

Any help would be appreciated.

product-template-lg.afphoto 49.37 MB · 1 download product-template.afphoto 46 MB · 0 downloads

None of the Affinity apps recognizes it as an Affinity file using open or even Place  (insert) in Publisher. Maybe the files are corrupted - perhaps something else is the matter. I hope the support staff can take a look at the files.

I looked at the binary content - I see similarities to regular affinity files - but also discrepancies.

Sorry 😞

I hope you have a backup/version somewhere. If you do not have versioning of your files (fx via Dropbox cloud backup) I strongly recommend saving backup versions manually with unique names. The hard way. Every time you make a major or semi major change. But a blessing when problems arise.

Stay safe.


I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a forlorn hope, you can download previous versions of Photo, including 1.7.x,  here. I believe they will run as 30-day trials. 


Affinity Photo 1.8.4,  Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4, Mac OSX 10.15, 2018 MacBook Pro 15"

Betas as they happen... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, h_d said:

I believe they will run as 30-day trials.

Probably only 10-day.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.791 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.791 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.798 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, h_d said:

As a forlorn hope, you can download previous versions of Photo, including 1.7.x,  here. I believe they will run as 30-day trials. 

Binary content didn't look like 1.7 files - but I am only assuming here.


I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen the "This File type not supported.", too. I had a psd file that I created in Affinity Photo 1.8 (or maybe 1.8.1) that wouldn't open in 1.8.3. I tried opening it in Photoshop CC and one of the layers was corrupt.

I've also had issues using LUT adjustment layers in 1.8.3. If I make a LUT Adjustment Layer, save as a psd, close the file and re-open it the adjustment layer has turned into a pixel layer.

If I draw a rectangle over an image, adjust the blending range, save and re-open, the rectngle has turned into a pixel layer.

Something is not right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi tomrock,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
1. Do you still have the original file you created in Affinity 1.8 (or 1.8.1) that fails to open in 1.8.3 for us to check please? Can you attach it here (i can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private)? Thanks.

2. Features (LUT adjustment) not supported by the PSD format (Photoshop) are rasterised on export. That's expected.

3. What's the format of the image you have opened? If it's a JPG or PNG and you use File > Save after editing them and select Save Flattened in the dialog that will appear, then the JPG/PNG will be rewritten as a flattened image (these formats don't support layers among other things depending the format). If you select Save As instead the document will be saved in Affinity Photo native format (afphoto file) and you edits will be kept intact/editable. That's expected as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi tomrock,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
1. Do you still have the original file you created in Affinity 1.8 (or 1.8.1) that fails to open in 1.8.3 for us to check please? Can you attach it here (i can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private)? Thanks.

2. Features (LUT adjustment) not supported by the PSD format (Photoshop) are rasterised on export. That's expected.

3. What's the format of the image you have opened? If it's a JPG or PNG and you use File > Save after editing them and select Save Flattened in the dialog that will appear, then the JPG/PNG will be rewritten as a flattened image (these formats don't support layers among other things depending the format). If you select Save As instead the document will be saved in Affinity Photo native format (afphoto file) and you edits will be kept intact/editable. That's expected as well.

Thanks!

Number 1: I do have the file that can't be opened. Send me a link and I'd be glad to get it to you. It's an 800 meg 16-bit psd file.

Number 2: I didn't know that. Simple explanation.

Number 3: I think this is the same a Number 2. If I open a psd file, draw a rectangle on top of the pixel layer, save the file and re-open it, the rectangle has turned into a pixel layer. Maybe saving rectangles in psd files isn't supported?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the upload link. Thanks for your support.

3. Must be something else. Vector shapes are exported as shape layers to PSD and should be editable in Photoshop unless there's something more going on (maybe an FX you have applied that's not supported or something). Without checking the file it's difficult to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've uploaded the file.

Not that it really matters, but this file started as a camera raw file that I edited in Capture One. I then edited with Affinity Photo and changed the plain grey wall to a jpeg texture. The jpeg obviously is an 8-bit file and the camera file was 16. I do this all the time and have never had any issue with doing it this way before.

I just tried drawing a rectangle on a psd file and it worked just fine. I don't know what I did earlier that it didn't work. I must have done something different.

Thanks,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, MEB said:

Hi tomrock,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
1. Do you still have the original file you created in Affinity 1.8 (or 1.8.1) that fails to open in 1.8.3 for us to check please? Can you attach it here (i can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private)? Thanks.

2. Features (LUT adjustment) not supported by the PSD format (Photoshop) are rasterised on export. That's expected.

3. What's the format of the image you have opened? If it's a JPG or PNG and you use File > Save after editing them and select Save Flattened in the dialog that will appear, then the JPG/PNG will be rewritten as a flattened image (these formats don't support layers among other things depending the format). If you select Save As instead the document will be saved in Affinity Photo native format (afphoto file) and you edits will be kept intact/editable. That's expected as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, MEB said:

Hi steverdezines,
I believe i know what's going on. I'm passing the files to the dev team for inspection. Thanks for reporting it. I will get back to you as soon as i have some news (note most staff doesn't work today so it may take a little).

Hi MEB...thanks for trying. Have you had any luck opening those files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, Jowday said:

None of the Affinity apps recognizes it as an Affinity file using open or even Place  (insert) in Publisher. Maybe the files are corrupted - perhaps something else is the matter. I hope the support staff can take a look at the files.

I looked at the binary content - I see similarities to regular affinity files - but also discrepancies.

Sorry 😞

I hope you have a backup/version somewhere. If you do not have versioning of your files (fx via Dropbox cloud backup) I strongly recommend saving backup versions manually with unique names. The hard way. Every time you make a major or semi major change. But a blessing when problems arise.

Stay safe.

Thanks for trying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi steverdezines,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The files were inspected yes, but both are truncated/corrupted. Are you working directly from a cloud synchronised folder (Dropbox, Google Drive etc), an external USB drive or stick or a NAS? Affinity apps do not load all file data to memory (for performance reasons) and require a permanent access to the file to work correctly - if for same reason they lose the connection with the external NAS, drive or the folder is being synchronised it may lead to corruption/data loss. Can you confirm if that was the case? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.