You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PLEASE CHECK: Snapping to margin

For what it's worth, it seems to work on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Yes.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Snapping to margins is working for me on Mac, so I figure if it is broken, it is only broken in specific cases. @Helmar can you provided a simplified file that demonstrates this problem, with some simple steps to tell us what you are doing? Or perhaps a video of your demonstrating the problem. That would help us suss out where or why it is not working.

7 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Snapping to margins is working for me on Mac, so I figure if it is broken, it is only broken in specific cases. @Helmar can you provided a simplified file that demonstrates this problem, with some simple steps to tell us what you are doing? Or perhaps a video of your demonstrating the problem. That would help us suss out where or why it is not working.

@garrettm30 - here we go. It does work, but ONLY if "snap to spread" is enabled. Have a look at the vid.

Thanks for the video; it helps us understand the kind of document you are working with. For one thing, I do not see any margin in the video. You may have View->Show Margins disabled. Snapping to the margin does not work when they are disabled or when you are in preview mode (Serif, is that intentional?).

However, it may be that you actually have no margin set in that document. When you said in the closing statement, "It snaps to the spread, and it snaps to the margin," you were demonstrating how it was snapping to the bleed. If that is in fact where you expected the margin to be, then it seems you have the margin position set to 0 in the document setup. In that case, snap to spread is the feature you are needing.

2 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Thanks for the video; it helps us understand the kind of document you are working with. For one thing, I do not see any margin in the video. You may have View->Show Margins disabled. Snapping to the margin does not work when they are disabled or when you are in preview mode (Serif, is that intentional?).

However, it may be that you actually have no margin set in that document. When you said in the closing statement, "It snaps to the spread, and it snaps to the margin," you were demonstrating how it was snapping to the bleed. If that is in fact where you expected the margin to be, then it seems you have the margin position set to 0 in the document setup. In that case, snap to spread is the feature you are needing.

You are absolutely CORRECT. I have clearly been working on the document way too long, so I mixed up "margin" and "bleed", and no, I don't have any margins set. I usually work with guides.

Thanks for the "snap to spread is the feature you are needing". 

The feature for automatically sizing a frame may seem a little idiosyncratic, but I think it will become clear if I answer your question,  "But what does it shrink it to?" The answer, as I understand it, is that it shrinks or expends to exactly fit all visible text, including text that is visible when overflow is displayed.

That may seem like an odd behavior, but I believe it may be intentional. Let's say you have a story that spans across multiple text frames. For each frame in the story, you could size the frame approximately so that the desired text is fit in the frame, and then you could use the double-click feature to size the frame more exactly to fit that text, without affecting the flow of the text into other frames in the same story.

Your video does seem to indicate a bug in that there is no overflow warning in very narrow text frames. Perhaps this is intentional due to lack of space, but if so, I think some alternate indicator should be considered.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Snapping to the margin does not work when they are disabled or when you are in preview mode (Serif, is that intentional?)

To make it snap even if set to invisble: Make sure you have this checkbox unticked:
(Yes, this is intentional ;) )

1819175493_snaptoinvisibletoo.jpg.f5a428d4eee6661d8c4c017697ab1843.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Perhaps this is intentional due to lack of space, but if so, I think some alternate indicator should be considered.

I believe it is intentional, and due to lack of space.

The alternate indicator occurs when (a) you have View > Show Text Flow enabled and (b) the text frame does not have focus. In that case the text frame will have a blue outline (due to the View option) and red dots (due to the View option and the frame having overflowed).

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

There should still be a way that overflow is indicated even if Show Text Flow is not activated.

Are they really connected? Even though text flow can prevent text overflow they are two independent pair of shoes.

However, this "even if" indicator does exist:

1876850179_textoverflowpreflight.jpg.95af1689ced57430dee48f538b0f913a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1