You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remenber last folders/files in Open/Save File Dialog

This is really annoying. 

Everytime I restart Affinity Designer (or Photo or Publisher), I have to dive into my folder structures to pick up the right folder,
because the dialog is reset.

I don't get it. Memorizing folders/files in those dialogs should be available by default, as any other tools do.
Even if I create a new app in C#, this is the first thing I implement when creating dialogs.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

It would be usefull if some parameters were saved in the file instead of at the app level:

• original folder
  • folder for save as
  • folder for export
  • print/export settings (to not have to enter again list of specific pages and this damn option "all pages" instead of the "all spread" that is only used 1% of the time)

If the path doesn't exist when the file is on another computer, it can revert to defaults.

This used to be a system setting in macOS. There's no more setting that I can see, and maybe it's just "always on" now, but I find that it does a pretty good job opening to where I was last time, most of the time.

For instance, just now I went File > Open and navigated through a few folders. I didn't open anything, clicked cancel. When I chose Open again, it was in the same folder where I left it before.

• 6 months later...

Hi!

Great idea Wosven, to (maybe as an option) save folder and export parameters for each document/project.

I also think there should be options/support for (in my case primarily Publisher, but probably generic for Photo and Designer as well):
- Define default folders separately for Documents (Open folder) and Export folder
- Remember "Last folder" for these separately as well, so that next time Open and Export do not go to same "Last used" folder
- Option to include page number/name in exported file name also when exporting only current page, so that name is the same regardless of exporting all or current page.

Regards/
Hackej

Don't mention the war .... dealing with setting (mainly saving and remembering them) seems to be a black hole for Affinity ... this not only referrs to pathes but to mostly all settings of tools and parameters (e.g. filters). Let's hope for the next major update (2.x) - one should never give up hope ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com