You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a few picture frames.
I add a text box and locate it near one of the picture frames.
I create a transform point on the text box and snap it to a corner of the picture frame.
I copy the text box.
When I move the copy towards another picture frame, its transform point disappears.
If  switch to Designer Persona, I can use the Point Transform Tool to snap the text box copy's transform point to a corner of the second picture frame.
Can that be done within the Publisher Persona?

I don't have a screen recorder, Callum. That said, it's easy to explain.

Publisher and Designer:

New drawing.
Draw rectangle.
Select rectangle.
Enable Transform Origin.

Drag the rectangle and the Transform Origin disappears. This means the Transform Origin can't be snapped to a specific location.

In Designer only:

Enable the Point Transform Tool and then drag the rectangle. Its Transform Origin remains visible and can be snapped to a specific location.

Basically, there doesn't seem a way to replicate the function of the Point Transform Tool in Publisher.

51 minutes ago, Eddy-2 said:

Drag the rectangle and the Transform Origin disappears. This means the Transform Origin can't be snapped to a specific location.

To move the Transform Origin drag it, not the rectangle or other object, to the desired location. The Move Tool pointer will change from its normal large arrow shape to a four way arrow to indicate you are over it.

It should work with whatever snapping options you have enabled in the Snapping Manager.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R but that's not what I want to do.

What I want to do is to drag the object and snap its transform point to a specific location. I can't do that in Publisher because the transform point disappears when the object is dragged.

Using the Point Transform Tool in Designer, when I drag the object, its transform point stays visible. I can then snap the transform point to wherever I need.

55 minutes ago, Eddy-2 said:

Using the Point Transform Tool in Designer, when I drag the object, its transform point stays visible. I can then snap the transform point to wherever I need.

I am not seeing that in Designer on my Mac. Whenever I drag any object, the Transform Origin disappears during the drag. It is the same in Photo & also in any persona in Publisher.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Eddy-2 said:

Thanks R C-R but that's not what I want to do.

What I want to do is to drag the object and snap its transform point to a specific location. I can't do that in Publisher because the transform point disappears when the object is dragged.

The trick is to use the point transform tool in Publisher's Designer persona. I think you have to move the Transform point first though in order to get it to stay/stick.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The trick is to use the point transform tool in Publisher's Designer persona. I think you have to move the Transform point first though in order to get it to stay/stick.

For me, the transform origin is always visible when using the Point Transform Tool, always sticks to where it has been placed (even if it is the default centered location), & works the same way in Publisher's Designer persona as it does in Designer's Designer persona.

The transform origin also obeys all currently enabled snapping options, whether I am using the Move or Point Transform tool.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I am not seeing that in Designer on my Mac. Whenever I drag any object, the Transform Origin disappears during the drag. It is the same in Photo & also in any persona in Publisher.

I can understand that in Publisher and Photo, since neither has a Point Transform Tool, whereas Designer does (uses same icon position as Node Tool). Alternatively, select, then F (shortcut).

Unfortunately, the post keeps throwing up an error message when I try to upload a picture.

20 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Thanks Bruce - that's the only way I can manage to do it. However, not everyone using Publisher has Designer installed.