You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 173 - Eye Candy problems - MAS version vs betas

Thank you!!! It's back to working (mostly) in the new beta. It does, however, have a glitch or two in the preview of certain effects. It appears to be related to bevels I think. But at least EC can now be opened within APh and there is at least a reasonable preview! So a BIG thank you for that! 

PS. I did notice that every so often, I could get the preview to work if I resized the window, but not always.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 3.54.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 4.01.36 PM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Playing with it a bit more, I can mostly get the preview to render properly if I expand/contract the window size. Sometimes it takes a few attempts, but usually works. Thus I know it can render the preview correctly, but it appears the preview is not updating/refreshing properly. But at least so far, it is now usable again from within APh. Hooray!

Edit: Using Metal.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Interesting how in other threads on this topic you get all kinds of reasons why EC will never work with AP.

Then it sort of works in the beta and vanishes again in the final release.

I would like to hear why, if it almost works why they can't they finish the job?

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

15 hours ago, TomM1 said:

Interesting how in other threads on this topic you get all kinds of reasons why EC will never work with AP.

Then it sort of works in the beta and vanishes again in the final release.

I would like to hear why, if it almost works why they can't they finish the job?

Yes, in the last beta round in 1.7, I had EC working okay, albeit with a very poor preview. But the final release it failed to open at all. The only thing I could think of is that perhaps because I use the Mac App Store version of APh, perhaps there is a problem with sandboxing, etc. Whereas the betas are direct from Affinity, so maybe an issue there??? Just keeping my fingers crossed that this time it will work in the Retail/App Store version since I do use it fairly often and just hate to have to go back to my old PS CS5 just for that.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 1 month later...

Beta 165 still has the issue of EC previews requiring resizing the window in order to accurately see the preview. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

It’s working fine. Just a problem with the preview. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t upgraded yet. Plus a mod posted In the release Bug forum that the initial 1.8 Mac App Store version isn’t handling any plugins correctly, so they have a new version already submitted to Apple for quick release. The problem relates to MAS software requiring strict sandbox behavior. Hopefully the newer release will make it work. 

It does make me think that this was the issue with 1.7.3. I know it worked in the betas, but failed to even open in the final MAS release. Hoping this time that doesn’t happen. 
Let me know if the upcoming fix works for EC. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Hopefully that will solve it. I'm thinking I will have to wait to upgrade since I do need EC from time to time. I was soooo encouraged when it was working in the betas. 

Will wait to see if TomM1 can get it to work! 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, Andy Somerfield said:

Evening guys,

Yes, the MAS build has different sandbox requirements, but if you head to preferences and "Authorise global" when using build 1.8.1, you will have the same behaviour as the betas..

Hope this helps,

A

My Authorise Global button is greyed out.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

9 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

My Authorise Global button is greyed out.

Interesting! After Andy posted that "fix", I looked at my 1.7.3 install to see if maybe that might fix it as well, but saw the same thing you did. The button is greyed out. Hopefully Andy knows how to deal with that as well! Really want to upgrade but really need access to EC, so need to wait to get this resolved. Back in 1.7.3 when it failed to work in the MAS version (while it did work in the betas), I had thought I was going to have to spend another $50 to get the Affinity Store version. But when it worked in the 1.8 betas, I was encouraged that maybe this time it was fixed.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

On 2/27/2020 at 12:21 PM, TomM1 said:

Could be that Authorize Global is only available when a plugin has a certain status.

Currently my plugins are unknown or working. EC7 is unknown.

@TomM1 Have you had a chance to check this in the new beta of 1.8.2? I haven't upgraded yet to either the release or the new beta for fear of breaking EC compatibility. Thanks.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

On 2/27/2020 at 11:36 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

Evening guys,

Yes, the MAS build has different sandbox requirements, but if you head to preferences and "Authorise global" when using build 1.8.1, you will have the same behaviour as the betas..

Hope this helps,

A

Doesn't help because Authorize Global does not apply to the Eye Candy "unknown" plugin.

website

Clearly it's not going to work.

And there is no guidance about when or ever it would work.

Or why it sort of works in the betas.

Time for plan B. Purchase the non-subscription Photoshop elements for the only purpose of round tripping an element of artwork to apply EC

then back to AP.

I can then finally remove CS6.

website

Not sure what PE costs, but you might also consider simply buying the Affinity Store version of Photo for $49. I haven't had time to try the latest 1.8.2 beta, but I'm guessing EC may very well work just as it has in the last betas for both 1.7 and 1.8. I think the issue is related to the MAS version and the sandboxing from Apple. And I'm speculating that it likely works in the 1.8.1 version from the Affinity Store. 

The other option is to continue using 1.8 betas and wait for Photo v2 to come out, which will be a paid upgrade, then switch to the Affinity Store version. If you've not used the 1.8.2 beta, you might want to try that first to see if it works again. Runs parallel to the normal retail MAS version, so nothing lost in trying. Might help confirm if it is just an issue with the MAS retail versions. Other plugins are having similar issues with the MAS 1.8 version, so not unlikely it is the issue with EC.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Finally had a chance to load beta 1.8.2.173 and can report that EC still works, with the exception that it does sometimes require a slight resize of the preview window in EC. But saves and all options seem to work. This does (again) suggest that the Mac MAS version is the issue on it not working in the retail version, for whatever reason. 

But at least using the beta, EC can be used just fine (mostly).

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

As I mentioned, I tried the beta and still get no preview though the effect gets applied.

And the effect does not create its own layer.

website

45 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

As I mentioned, I tried the beta and still get no preview though the effect gets applied.

And the effect does not create its own layer.

Are you getting no preview screen at all, or a poorly rendered preview? I do need to adjust the preview window in order to get a good preview (as per my screen capture).

It's always been true that APh does not automatically create a new layer nor rasterize the layer before doing the effect. But I've found it's pretty easy to: 1) set my text/create a shape, 2) make a copy/duplicate, 3) then rasterize that duplicated layer, 4) followed by applying the plugin/EC. Reasonable workflow.

But if you are not even getting a preview window at all, or a preview of the effect, then you may have something unique with your setup.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.