You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize and Export Repeatability

New user here so this topic may have been addressed but I'm not quite sure what to search for. 

Looking to create what Photoshop calls an action...for me, it's a repeatable resize and export of a single image. 

Basically looking to take a high resolution jpg, resize it to a specific dpi and width (height can be variable) and then export it to a folder. 

This is for a blog so all I need to do is open an image and click on the action to resize and save the new photo then close the original image without saving. And do that all over agin. 

Is this possible with AP

I've tried creating a macro but it looks like the macro won't handle the export portion of the process. 

Any suggestions?

TIA

• Staff

Hi millerbn and Welcome to the Forums,

You could record your Macro and add it to your Library of Macros and then click File>New Batch Job and here you can load a set of images, select the format of image you want and there is also an option on this window where you can select a Macro to be applied as part of the batch job.

One thing to note, if you are not changing file format, you'll need to set a new folder for the images to be exported out to, which can be done from the batch window, otherwise the originals will be overwritten. 

When resizing with a macro, it sets the dimensions in stone so all output have the same width and height. However you can set the width or height in the batch job which should do what you want. You may want to use a macro just to set the dpi though without ticking the Resample box.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You may want to use a macro just to set the dpi though without ticking the Resample box.

I believe that has been broken since 1.7, and remains unfixed so far in the 1.8 beta.

Macros recorded in 1.7 and later seem to act as though Resample were always enabled.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have tried it, and it works, but only if you want to change the DPI to 300.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, millerbn said:

Basically looking to take a high resolution jpg, resize it to a specific dpi and width (height can be variable) and then export it to a folder.  

I have exactly the same problem. If I set the width to a certain number of pixels it uses the proportional height of the image I'm using to create the macro. It won't then work on an image that has different proportions because it distorts it to fit the originimal image's shape.
Same thing for exporting the resulting image, even though I want to export them all in the same format, quality and dpi.
It's really frustrating because I'm trying to move over to Affinity instead of using Photoshop.

2 hours ago, Jen Robinson said:

I have exactly the same problem. If I set the width to a certain number of pixels it uses the proportional height of the image I'm using to create the macro. It won't then work on an image that has different proportions because it distorts it to fit the originimal image's shape.
Same thing for exporting the resulting image, even though I want to export them all in the same format, quality and dpi.
It's really frustrating because I'm trying to move over to Affinity instead of using Photoshop.

We're in the same boat. 

I can't get the macro to work at all. 

In an effort to not waste too much time on this I purchased a blogging software called Blogstomp. It's far more efficient for repeated exporting. 

Guess I'll just be using Affinity for cloning and one-off edits. Otherwise it seems to be quirkier and not as far along as I hoped.

• 1 month later...

We also need to resize site photos often to a new folder for use in documentation that does not need High Def.  Photoshop can easily resiize a folder of photos by Percentage or even use the max appied to height  or width. These little functionalities can be deal breakers to being able to dump Adobe.