You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon EOS R and CR3 files need to be added

I've been using Affinity Photo for a long time and I have never had an issue until I received my EOS R last month and Affinity Photo can't recognize the EOS R .CR3 file.   This file format has been out for a while now.  Why is Affinity not supporting new cameras first, and then work on older models in between?  This is Canon's first full frame mirrorless.  Of course it was a huge announcement and a lot of people were going to buy it.   I have converted ALOT of people over to affinity photo.  But I can not tell people to convert anymore.  If I can't use the program, there isn't much to talk about.  PLEASE ADD CANON EOS R and .CR3 FILES TO THE LIST OF CAMERAS SUPPORTED!!!    I love affinity products and own them all.  However, Affinity Photo will be on my list of software that is unusable until they add new cameras and .CR3 Raw Files.  EOS R has been out for over a year.         Add a like if you agree that Canon EOS R and .CR3 support needs to be added!!!!

Edited by AlienMan
Forgot my last line

• Staff

Hi @AlienMan,

Welcome to the forums

Support for the .cr3 RAW file from the EOS R is currently available for the Mac and iPad version of Affinity Photo when using the Apple RAW engine ans this will be added to the Windows version in the 1.8 update which is currently in beta

The beta version of Photo 1.8 will open the CR3 files from my new Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.  My camera is also listed under the lens corrections available.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

16 hours ago, AlienMan said:

Add a like if you agree that Canon EOS R and .CR3 support needs to be added!!!!

That's never been disputed.  And it's never been a case of Serif not putting the time and effort into it, either.  (Most) RAW support in AP is provided by Libraw, an external package used by many image editing programs, and CR3 has only been added to Libraw in the last couple of months.    Some CR3 support has recently been added to AP by Serif working directly with Canon, but I don't know the details and I don't expect to be told!   How Adobe were able to offer CR3 support immediately while Libraw took 2 years isn't clear - CR3 is complex, but there have been mutterings about Canon encrypting the files!  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

7 minutes ago, IanSG said:

... How Adobe were able to offer CR3 support immediately while Libraw took 2 years isn't clear ...

With some Canon models and/or lens combinations, it took Adobe 2 versions of Camera RAW and about a year or slightly more s to include support for CR3--and for some combinations they aren't there yet.

Canon, other than making great cameras, is about the worst company for changing their RAW file format more than other companies. This is true even across their camera lines released at the same time.

But, yep. LibRaw is much slower to add support.

12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

With some Canon models and/or lens combinations, it took Adobe 2 versions of Camera RAW and about a year or slightly more s to include support for CR3--and for some combinations they aren't there yet.

That's interesting!  It rather undermines the conspiracy theories that are knocking about :).

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

4 minutes ago, IanSG said:

That's interesting!  It rather undermines the conspiracy theories that are knocking about :).

Adobe is usually (much) quicker than LibRaw. They have the personnel and working relationships among camera makers that have ensured they are quicker. In the case of the R series, Adobe was about 3 or so months. With the RP series, not so quick. Then there was a bad Camera RAW version affecting a few Canon models that wasn't fixed until the second release of the next major version. And so it goes.

It's in every companies best interest to support new models as quick as possible. In the case of LibRaw, it not only affects software companies using it for RAW processing, but their own software for viewing/culling shots (which my wife uses). She, however, isn't ever on the bleeding edge of new camera models and so hasn't been burned by the lack of support no matter the RAW viewer or the RAW processor. She only uses a photo editing application on the exported TIFFs. She would work this way even if she was using PS (and thereby extension, APhoto). In-application RAW processing is never as easy/quick as a "real" RAW editor. She may take 100-200 photos during a shoot. Using an in-application to cull and process them would be foolish.

But yeah, no conspiracies.