Ozymandias1972

Auto Trace alternative solved

I'm aware there is a thread that has users requesting Auto Trace feature similar to Adobe Illustrator and some have suggested the Vectorization online web app as a work around. BUT, I have also discovered another method that using Adobe Capture on iPhone or iPad will do the trick. I did an experiment and used the 'shape' tool to capture a black and white image from a book and it converted it to SVG. From there I used AirDrop ( or you can use Dropbox or such ) to transfer it to the iMac that I have. 

So I tried another method and used an illustration I did as fan art on Procreate in black and white. I imported it from Camera Roll, then captured it as SVG and then Airdropped it to my iMac to be opened on Affinity Designer. And lo and behold! It has paths! 

This is one good alternative to Vectorizer but if you have Adobe Capture, you can export it out to any device or PC after saving it to the Library instead of straight to Illustrator or Photoshop. So to fellow Affinity designers, this is a great trick I discovered so give it a try! However, I still hope Serif can implement auto trace someday in the future without having to go through hoops.

I'm attaching photos as proof. 

IMG_3747.PNG

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_40_38_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_39_03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_39_16_PM.png

This would be a quick iphone camera to vector route but I cannot save the svg to dropbox. It seems that only CCcloud is supported?