You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] Moving layers on the panel without grouping them.

I don't know if i can explain this well. The thing it's that being used to work with Photoshop, when arranging the layers on the Affinity's layers panel, they get grouped automatically... hidden one inside the other. I don't know if for other users it's this feature quiet useful, but for me it's a bit annoying to lose the location of a an element because i dropped it accidentally inside another element's layer when what i wanted to do was rearranging their position and not grouping them into one.

Would be great to have he possibility of using that panel to rearrange the layers or merging it (2 options in one) when sorting the layers on the right panel)

9awj6a.png

Thanks so much!!!!

• Staff

Hi,

Look at the preview blue line drawn while you're dragging - it changes based on how far left or right your mouse cursor is. If you drop under one object to the right of its thumbnail you get it dropped as a child (which is what you are experiencing, I think?). However, if you move your cursor more to the left then it will drop as a sibling (not a child)

Hope that helps :)

Matt

• Staff

For each row there are potentially 3 drop areas. Most of them will have only 2. This is determined by the x location of your mouse.

The areas are:

- Below the row's name: This will drop it as a child.

- Below the thumbnail: This will drop it as a sibling.

- Below the arrow or the indentation space: This will drop it as the outer most sibling. Usually sibling of the next row but before it.

The latter will only happen if there is an immediate outer sibling.

As Matt have mentioned, if you keep your mouse pointer to the left of the thumbnail, it should always drop it as a sibling.

• Staff

For each row there are potentially 3 drop areas. Most of them will have only 2. This is determined by the x location of your mouse.

- Below the arrow or the indentation space: This will drop it as the outer most sibling. Usually sibling of the next row but before it.

The latter will only happen if there is an immediate outer sibling.

I though this would only show when we moved a layer to top or bottom of the layers stack! So its the outer most sibling...

Anyway it's still buggy in certain situations. I will open a new topic for this soon.

• Staff

I though this would only show when we moved a layer to top or bottom of the layers stack! So its the outer most sibling...

Anyway it's still buggy in certain situations. I will open a new topic for this soon.

The outer one can be a little confusing. It will give you this option as long as the row you are targeting (hovering), and the next row after that, are not direct siblings nor a child. So you will see it more with the last children inside a collection, when it's parent is expanded. It will always (well, should) drop it as the previous sibling of the very next row.

I think our documentation guys are working on a video of the layer's drag-drop stuff at some point to help out.

But by all means, if you see something that is wrong, or that you don't understand, start a new topic and me or someone else on the team will look into it. :)

• Staff

The outer one can be a little confusing. It will give you this option as long as the row you are targeting (hovering), and the next row after that, are not direct siblings nor a child. So you will see it more with the last children inside a collection, when it's parent is expanded. It will always (well, should) drop it as the previous sibling of the very next row.

That's exactly the situation i'm showing with the file i posted on the new topic. It may have a rationale behind it, but it's very unintuitive, confusing and worst it's inconsistent. 

The file i posted there hopefully will show why i think its inconsistent.