When working on an element on a large format page and using zoom shortcuts (Command 1 to 4),  the view goes to the centre of the page rather than to the selection. Often the selection ends up outside the new, tighter, viewing area requiring a repositioning. Is there a way to lock a zoom to centre on a selection that I have not found? If not my request is to provide that option/ability. It's something I have used constantly in that other software.

Thanks

Does double-clicking on the object's thumbnail in the Layers panel help?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Thanks Walt, just learnt a new shortcut.

However, not as simple/fast as hitting Command 1 to 4, as it means moving the cursor from the selection to the layers panel then finding/selecting that layer to double click, plus it seems to expand the selection to fill the frame rather than give the choice of one of the four steps of zoom that comes with  the command/number shortcut.

Is there a way to do the reverse – that's the other strength of the Command/number shortcut that you can just as easily step back?

2 minutes ago, MikeV said:

Is there a way to do the reverse – that's the other strength of the Command/number shortcut that you can just as easily step back?

If you know what zoom level you had, just use that shortcut again.

3 minutes ago, MikeV said:

then finding/selecting that layer to double click,

There is an "Autoscroll" option in the hamburger menu for the Layers panel, but it's never worked for me.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Had a play using Command/numbers to zoom out after a double-click zoom in – zoom out also centres on the page so is an issue – mostly okay for an A4 document – not so great for A2 when the selection is toward a page edge.

Still coming to grips with every stroke or line on its own layer. Brought across an A2 ID document (via pdf) and have literally hundreds of layers on a page.

However StudioLink more than makes up for the early shortcomings. 

4 hours ago, MikeV said:

Is there a way to lock a zoom to centre on a selection that I have not found?

Hi @MikeV,

try menu 'View > Zoom > Zoom to Selection'. On Windows the shortcut is CTRL+ALT+0 (on Mac I assume it is CMD+ALT+0).

Is that what you are looking for?

You also could configure it's keyboard shortcut to something that meets your preference. It seems CTRL+5 is not taken.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi dominik,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Found the shortcut – on Mac it's ⌘+⇧+O. Means using both hands on the keyboard so not ideal.

Will look at configuration.

m

Hi garrett,

Brilliant!

Much better that the ID approach I'm used to. Just need to develop new muscle memories – after twenty years using ID. Well worth the effort though.

Thanks

m