You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frames & font sizes?

PButler

Again, apologies to all for having let this drop: a combination of big projects with firm deadlines and personal  problems knocked me out for a couple of months.

Anyway, here's a 28-second clip of how text sizing jumps around and makes it hard to do elementary layout functions in AffPub.

Pls note the same problem recurred when I erased all the existing text and pasted in re-created 24-pt Times Bold numbering from TextEdit.

The problem is you have at some point (inadvertently or not) resized one (or more) of the text frames using the outermost resize handles it then resizes the text.

A better way to do what you are doing is to make a Paragraph style called Individual Dates and then set the Flow to Start in Next Frame. Each of you dates will then jump to the next frame and you don't have to worry about the fames being too small or too large.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The font size of the text frame at the end of your video says "4.3 pt".
So I assume as before that you have scaled at least one text frame with the outer handle. E.g. downscaling the text frame in the upper left could result in that impression.

Unfortunately in Affinity is still no helpful UI to avoid (and/or repair) such behavior and issue.
For now the only way for you to fix it would be to delete and recreate the affected text frame(s).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I keep on thinking that such behavior for a program isn't professionnal, and that we need an indication of  the scale percentage, to be able to set it back to 100% if needed, or simply to check it.

It causes havoc too in Designer when copying some styles, applied differently to objects and we need to reset the proper size(s) manually… :/

Thanks to all for your replies: it looks like I made a mistake which feeds right into AffPub's mistake, and we both need to take some time to make corrections.

Alas, in my present work document, that will mean replacing 47 text frames, most of them encumbered by surrounding text. I don't know where one goes to vote for what-to-fix-first, but this glitch deserves a high position!

3 hours ago, PButler said:

replacing 47 text frames,

Actually it would work if you replace only the affected frames – as long you are able to detect them. Indeed, if your 47 frames are copies of one which got scaled with the outer handle than they all will be affected.

In your video I see a different frame height of 12 (tuesday) (at the bottom, compared to 13 – 16) / and a slightly rotated frame 15 (friday). Possibly you will remember your workflow and way/order of creating the frames. The cursor size in your video makes me suspect a high screen resolution; it may be recommended to perform detail layout tasks in closer zoom view to avoid that handles are mistakenly used incorrectly.

124021888_framesouterhandlePButler.jpg.ae9ab51a387bf99c785ba2dc6a1f72ce.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I often move such text frames around and resize them, so no surprise that they end up in different shapes. Though my main monitor (a 27" iMac) has a lot of room, I use it all in laying out 2-pg spreads, so when doing batch duplications I don't do much close-up work.

But I try very hard not to tilt them, and - so far as I can tell (zooming to 800% & drawing a selection rectangle (is there a panel or somesuch that shows angles?)) - the "15" frame, so far unreplaced & untweaked from when I made that vid, is squared to the screen in the same document now. (Sharp eye!, btw.)