You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thread 2 crash when opening Tiff file in AF Photo 1.7.3

I scanned some negatives using an Epson perfection v700.  The negatives are black and white 120mm images.  When I try to open the tiff file created by the Epson scan software, Affinity Photo V1.7.3 immediately crashes.  The log file shows that Thread 2 crashed.  Attached is the log file and the tiff image file that caused the app to crash, as well as a screen capture of the info on the tiff file.

I've repeated this crash with multiple tiff files.

AfPhoto_Crash_log_2019-10-24.txt

2019-10-09-Downtown Dublin 2019-10-24 23-37-10.png

v700 test 3.tiff

Hi, I downloaded the tiff and can confirm the described behaviour - APhoto chrashed immediately. Pixelmator, GraphicConverter and XnViewMP (e.g.) open the tiff without problems.

Crashreport attached ...

CrashReport.rtf

Add: I'm definitely not an expert at this, but I guess something's wrong with your tiff. None of my tiffs ever crashed APhoto.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

Thanks. I logged it with our developers.

Gabe. 

You're welcome :)

Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hello,
I have the same problem with 18 or 20 MB TIFF files that come from a Canon 9000f scanner. These are color files although the paper photo is black and white. It is systematically a crash. The photos open with my other software without problems.

I can not send you TIFF file samples because they are too big. The exact extension of my files is: ".tif"

Affinity Photo_2019-11-01-113151_Mac-Pro-de-Francis.crash

• Staff

Hi Fanfan57,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind uploading one of the TIF files (from the Canon 9000f scanner) that crashes Affinity Photo using this link please? It may or may not be the same issue as the OP's report/issue and would be nice to check the revised code against it as well. Thank you.

Hello MEB,
I sent you a .tif file that crashed Affinity Photo with the link. I just tested with another scanner for slide: DigitDia 6000 Reflecta, the crash does not occur even with a file .tif of 56 MB.
Sorry but I did not understand the sentence: It may or may not be the same issue as the OP's report/issue and would be nice to check the revised code against it as well. Do you expect me to do something in return?

Capture d’écran 2019-11-08 à 15.51.51.jpg

• Staff

Hi Fanfan57,
No, you don't need to do anything else, thanks. I just wanted  the file you already uploaded. Seems you are using Affinity Photo 1.7.2 which is an older version. Your file already opens correctly in Affinity Photo 1.7.3. Is there any specific reason why you haven't updated to Affinity Photo 1.7.3? Can you please do so and try again? Thanks.

Hello MEB,

Thank you for your quick reply. Very good if you do not reproduce the bug with version 1.7.3. Effectivelent I did not pay attention that I did not have the last version. The problem is that I bought Affinity Photo on the App Store, and that if version 1.7.3 is really online, my version 1.7.2 has not been updated; in principle I have nothing to do, other times it is Apple who offers me the updates. This version 1.7.2 is not very old: created on August 15 and modified on August 16.
I am under MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, and in this version there is no button "Check for updates". I do not know anymore with this version of MacOS how to force the Affinity Photo Update.

I'm waiting for your advice for this new problem and a check that it is not at the level of the App Store.

• Staff

Hi Fanfan57,
Any application updates should be displayed in the Updates section (list on the left) in the Mac App Store. Try the following: open the Mac App Store app, go to menu Store and select Sign Out, then click Sign In on the bottom left of the Mac App Store application to sign in again. Check if the update appears on the Updates section.

If not, drag just the Affinity Photo.app from the Applications folder to the Trash and empty it (don't use any uninstallers for this). Then install it again from the Mac App Store app (search for Affinity Photo in the search filed in the top left of the Mac App Store to find it quickly). It should install the latest v1.7.3. Let me know how it goes.

Hello MEB,

I found the easiest solution to force the update in 1.7.3 of Affinity Photo. In the App Store application, when I display "Purchases", next to each software icon I see either "open" or "a little cloud". By clicking on "the little cloud" it forced the update in 1.7.3. It is with MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave.
And wonder, my .tiff file that caused the crash of Affinity, no longer causes this defect, as you had predicted!

Capture d’écran 2019-11-14 à 20.56.19.jpg

• Staff

Hi Fanfan57,
If it was displaying a cloud icon with the arrow pointing down it means the App Store was not detecting your current installed version (1.7.2) for some reason thus wasn't offering to update it. The cloud icon is to install an application you bought earlier in the App Store but that's not currently installed in the system. When the application is installed you should see Ouvrir (Open) as in the screenshot above. If you clicked the cloud icon it installed the latest version over your current one so you end up with the latest version installed anyway.

Glad to know the tif file is now opening correctly for you.