michaelws

I cannot save my adjustment layer effects in Photo

I have a line drawing, black and white.  However the linework is too light.

I go into adjustments and set the contrast to darker.  It looks good.  But I need to save it as a .png or .tiff or .jpeg.  When I do that it reverts back to the original with the too-light-linework.

I have tried everything.  How do I merge the layers and retain the higher contrast I got in the adjustment layer?

Thanks for any help with this.

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

Did you try Layer > Merge visible? It should give you  a new layer with the final result you wan to export.

But should that be necessary? Shouldn't the effects be part of an exported JPG, PNG, or TIF file automatically?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

Here are screen grabs of the different steps.  I did the "merge visible" as recommended but that did not work either.  Maybe I am missing something but when I used Photoshop (which I am no longer subscribing to) When I merged it flattened the layers.  Here the merge visible simply adds a pixel layer, but as you will see (the change, in contrast, is slight) the contrast is lost and the linework reverts back to the original.  I also tried exporting the jpeg but the darkened contrast is not there...as is shown in the last attached screenshot.

The first attachment is the original linework.

The second shows that adjustment.  Very subtle but the linework is darker than the original.  I would like to learn how to make it even darker.

The third shows the result of "merge visible."

The fourth shows the exported jpeg pasted below the original.  The linework shows no adjustment.

Thank you to everyone who has given me input to try to see what I am doing wrong.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Did you tried with an exagerated adjustment to check if at least the export is different?

Does the Contrast adjustment used in mode Multiply get a different export?

(It's not how it should work, but perhaps you'll have a suitable result while we try to understand what happen… and how to fix it)

Actually I used the "multiply mode" on this one.  So it did not work.  I did use the "export" but I do not know what you mean by an "exaggerated adjustment."

Thanks for your input Wosven.  I very much appreciate all the help this forum is providing me.