You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Interface improvement suggestions

I like using Affinity software but I have always found the UI to be quite poor is some areas so I have put together a shopping list of suggestions which I think would make a big difference. Many of these have been mentioned before. I have trialed Quark  2019 and the interface there (on Windows) is extremely good IMO. It's uncluttered and easy to use and I'd like to see Affinity products move in that direction.

1) I use the light UI. In the transform panel when I tab from one field to the next there is what looks like a 1 pixel blue line around the new field which is very hard to make out. The normal Windows way is to reverse the colours so it would be pale text on a dark background. The dark UI doesn't have this problem because the blue line is easy to see against the dark background.

2) If I select text which contains different sizes and fonts the Font Size and Font Family shows a blank. This is as it should be. But most of the other fields in the Character and Paragraph  studios don't work like that. They show the characteristics of the first glyph in the selection. In my view that is poor design.

3) Studio configurations to be saveable and to be able to use different ones where required.

4) When I use any Affinity software I find myself looking at a whole bunch of Studio information. I know they can be mimimized but I'd like an option where going from one studio to another automatically minimised the first one. What I'd prefer in fact is just a narrow customised list of Studios on the right side of the screen (saveable), with clicked Studios opening to the left of this list. Clicking a new Studio would automatically close the previous one. If someone wanted to have more than one open at any onee time they could just be dragged away from the main list.

I hope these suggestions are not taken in a negative way but as a way of improving what is still very good software.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

4 hours ago, MickRose said:

2) If I select text which contains different sizes and fonts the Font Size and Font Family shows a blank. This is as it should be. But most of the other fields in the Character and Paragraph  studios don't work like that. They show the characteristics of the first glyph in the selection. In my view that is poor design.

I do agree with this point.