Hello,

I noticed an amazing thing with the SVG format.

• When I create an image with Affinity Designer in 10000 × 4200 pixels, the SVG image weighs 150 KB.
  • When I resize to 1000 × 420, the SVG image weighs 28 KB.

How to explain the difference in size of the file since the SVG format is a vector format?

It's about creating a logotype in SVG for a responsible website. How to determine the optimal dimensions under Affinity Designer?

Thank you for your explanations.

4 cœurs Windows 10 pro   Affinity Desktop Publisher, Affinity Desktop Designer, Affinity Desktop Photo.

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Hi Pyanepsion,

If possible could you provide the file in question and tell me the exact export settings you are using?

Thanks

C

11 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

How to explain the difference in size of the file since the SVG format is a vector format?

The SVG format also supports raster images. Does your file include anything that is rasterized?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Hello, Callum. I can send you the image privately. There is two Affinity Designer files. The only difference between these two files is that the second is a simple variation of dimensions. Both files are exported to SVG files with the same export settings.

Export the firts Affinity Designer file version 10000×4200 px then export the second  Affinity Designer file version 1000×420 px.

svg-02.png.742e494dc0a62c3823f5ea7ce9046825.png

Hello, R C-R. It was a PNG matrix image that was vectorized with Inkscape. It contained some single-color surfaces that were filled under Inkscape by the fill function. The SVG file was then imported into Affinity designer.

Afinity Designer decomposes the vector image in:

• text (text object), including one with rotation (text s object) ;
  • group (group object) of 2 rectangles (rectangle object) some with a gradient.
  • Path (path object).

svg-01.png

4 cœurs Windows 10 pro   Affinity Desktop Publisher, Affinity Desktop Designer, Affinity Desktop Photo.

What

On 9/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, Callum said:

If possible could you provide the file in question and tell me the exact export settings you are using?

What are the news ?

@Pyanepsion if you open both of the svg files in a text editor you should be able to compare and see what is causing the increase in file size - svg is a simple mark up language which is human readable.

Another user found a bug with a certain shape exporting to pdf as thousands of straight lines instead of a single curve just by increasing the stroke width, maybe something similar is happening with your file.