You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS export does not keep spot colour information

1. Set up a CMYK document with a spot colour.

2. Export as EPS. Export option makes no difference.

3. Place PDF in Publisher and check the spot colour. This colour is now converted to CMYK.

First thought, that upon placing the colour might get converted, but I cross-checked by opening the PDF with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. From Indesign CS6 I am able to export an EPS including spot colours. The weak support for spot colours in the Affinity applications gives me some headaches, since the company's CI colour is HKS 7. I am really hoping for a massively improved colour handling in the near future, otherwise I am (hopefully not) forced to go back to Adobe. :( Attached are two EPS, one from Publisher and one from Indesign.

eps-export-indesign.eps

eps-export-publisher.eps

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Even worse, Designer and Publisher are not able to detect that there is a spot colour inside an EPS (when it is coming from Indesign for example).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I wonder if spot colors in EPS files are actually supported in Affinity apps? Have they been supported at some point?

In PDF files they seem to be supported pretty well, as can be seen from the attached files.

Please see the attached .afpub file (sporcolors.afpub) where spot colors have been defined (both library colors from PANTONE, and custom global colors defined in HLS and marked as spot), then exported as print pdf (spot colors honored) spotcolors.pdf, and imported in another .afpub file (spotcolors_placed.afpub), and exported as print pdf (spotcolors_exported.pdf).

Then I created an InDesign file with two spot colors, another defined in CMYK and another picked from Pantone Solid Coated, exported it as press pdf (myspots_fromid.pdf), imported that in Affinity Publisher, and exported it as pdf (for print) (spotcolors_fromid_exported.pdf).

In all instances spot colors exported from APub (whether spot colors where initially exported as APub or InDesign defined PDF files) are retained in the resulting PDFs.

There is probably no support for spot colors in Affinity apps for other than pdf workflow (???)