You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show a number of saved selections as a list of layers

Hi everyone, anyone tell me how to show more than one selection in the layers panel at the same time.  I'am trying to work with individual selections whilst showing all of them at the same time thus being able to flick between them.  At present I'am only able to load one at a time and then it closes when I load another.  Thanks for your help.

• Staff

It works the same as in my video you would just select the areas of the image instead of making selections on an empty canvas as I did in my example.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Ok so my 'work around is:

1) With the main image on screen, mentally divide up the image into a range of areas to be selected.

2) With a background copy in the layers, make the first selection , go to save selection to file, then deselect.

3) Continue with this process until all proposed areas have a selection taken and saved to the same folder.

4) When all the selections made, bring up each one individually onto a new pixel layer: make either a levels, curves or gradient etc adjustment. Name each pixel layer as you go.

5) Deselect after each area has been changed.

6) Continue until all areas blend together, form a composite layer at the to of the stack and make global adjustments if needed.

7 Add a blur to help blending

@It123,

Try looking at some of the tutorials listed in the Tutorials Forums found HERE

Using the Channels with selections is faster and more useful then saving selections to file. For example you make your selections, saving each to a channel. Then apply a Levels Adjustment layer. You right-click on the saved channel of your selection and choose to load it to the Levels Adjustment Alpha. For each layer you can load a selection channel to them. Just view the tutorials and you'll see. Or how about just reloading the selection. Right-click on the spare channel, choose Reload to Pixel Selection, then hit the Mask Icon, and you've got that selected area masked.

Affinity Photo is not going to work just like PS or PSE, but it does do almost everything they can, just differently. You need to learn the software if you're really wanting to use it. You apparently at one point took the time to learn PS or PSE, right? ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi Ron P., thanks for your message.

The problem i’ve given myself is that i’m trying to emulate the work of Joel Tjintjelaar and his ‘fine art photography’.  Given that he has PS and I refuse to subscribe, i’m finding the transfer of his techniques (ie the use of layers to show selections) to AF challenging. My other problem is that I seem to have a mental blockage when it comes to grasping ‘channels’.  I will take note of the videos and see if I can bypass the roadblock in my brain.  Thanks for your time.