You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sony ILCE-7M3 FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM Lens Distortion-Correction?

I am new to photography and decided to subscribe to Affinity Photo, the only Photo Development Software Program I have ever used.  I am very impressed and pleased with the HDR Photos I have been developing with Affinity's Engine-just awsome.  However, I noticed Lens Distortion in the developed HDR Photos.  When I go to the Filters-Distort-Lens Distortion Tabs it Corrects the Distortion in the image but when I try to save the corrected image it saves the distorted image.  I can't Export the corrected image either.  I looked in the Lens Correction Tab but my Camera and Lens are not there: Sony ILCE-7M3 FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM.

I went to YouTube and found a method of loading a fix Manually but discovered my Camera and Lens are not supported by Affinity at this time.   The Zeiss FE 16-35 F4 is but not the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM.  I also went to Lensfun-Master and did not see my equipment in the supported list, although it was indicated in the Forum that the list is outdated.  Can anyone please guide me to a resolution to this problem.  Thank you in advance, I appreciate it. 

• Staff

Hey DCC, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Are you clicking Apply in the Lens Distortion dialog?

I've noticed if you leave the dialog open and go to File > Save, once the file has saved, the distortion will reappear. 

If that isn't what is happening, would you mind doing a screen recording so we can see what you are seeing? :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 403Dann, 

This is the process I am doing to HDR Merge 3 Raw Photos. 

1. Click on New HDR Merge in the Photo Persona mode.
  2. Add the 3 Photos.
  3. Click on Apply after selecting Preset, like Detailed.
  4. Click on Develope in the Develope Persona
  5. Click on Filters, Distort, Lens Distortion

As soon as I click on Lens Distortion-the Distortion in the Merged HDR Photo is Removed.  But when I click on Apply Lens Distortion the Distortion Reappears?  Therefore I am unable to SAVE or EXPORT the Merged HDR Photo without the Distortion.  I have tried to SAVE or EXPORT the Photo after clicking on Lens Distortion without clicking on Apply Lens Distortion-but that does not SAVE the Photo without the Distortion still being there?

Thanks again for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris, 

I uploaded 3 raw files to Dropbox for your review.  The distortion is visible at the bottom of the Picture Frame.  The distortion always appears in the Horizontal Lines of an image: a few examples are the lines found in Picture Frames, Plantation Shutter Slats, Closet Doors with Slats, Door Moldings, Refrigerator and Range-Oven Vent Grill Lines.

I will also send you the Developed Photo produced by the 3 raw images I already uploaded to Dropbox.

Again, Affinity is an excellent Photo Editing Software platform that produces excellent HDR Merged Photos.  Affinity is the only Photo Editing platform I have ever used since I am new to photography.  Thank you for helping me with this Distortion issue, I sincerely appreciate it.

• Staff

Hey DCC,

I'm still not getting any lens distortion after the HDR merge.

In your steps, you said '4. Click on Develope in the Develope Persona' however when you enter the Tone Map Persona after the HDR merge, you shouldn't be in the Develop Persona.

Can you clarify a few things:
1. What OS are you on? I have tried it on macOS and Windows and on macOS I've tried it with Apple Core and Serif Labs

2. What HDR settings are you using (screen grab would be great)

3. Can you also screen grab your results so I can compare it to mine. Even opening the afphoto you attached I cannot see any lens distortion. I've compared the merged HDR image to the original raw image and they look the same.

4. Which version of Affinity are you using? I assume it's the 1.7 release version but I have to check! 

I've even used some other apps to do an HDR merge and they're giving me the same result as I'm seeing in Affinity Photo.