You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default font doesn't apply to Tables

Without any text frame selected, if I change the font, that becomes the new default font whenever I create a new text frame. Problem is, that doesn't apply to Tables, and it should. I expect if I change the default font to Myriad, when I create a new table, it should be using Myriad and not Arial as it's currently doing.

There are two types of text frames: those created with Frame Text Tool and those with Artistic Text Tool.
I noticed for use with text frame tool I can preselect colors and font weight but not font face or size.
A preselected font face appears to work only for artistic text tool objects – whereas in table cells I can't use the artistic text tool.

To make a font style used for future text frames or table cells I need to define it once in an object and choose "Synchronize Defaults...". This way the style gets used until you change the Defaults or use "Revert Defaults" to go back to the saved version of defaults.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 8 months later...

Hi could you please explain this a little more, I am working with tables a lot and have been frustrated that there seemed to be no way to set the format for the font style, size etc for the whole table and even if I have the correct format in a cell, if I delete the contents it usually (though not always ??) reverts back to the default. It seems from the above post that you have got around this problem however I have not been able to work out exactly the steps required from your above post. I think my problem is 'define it once in an object' as I presume 'Synchronize Defaults...' involves the the steps : edit, defaults, Synchronize from selection.

Thanks

11 hours ago, H Smolka said:

there seemed to be no way to set the format for the font style, size etc for the whole table

When I select a table with the Move Tool (black arrow) then I can define font face, size and color via character panel or choose a text style from paragraph panel and it gets assigned and remains assigned to all cells, either before or while typing and also after deleting content. (there appears APub improvement since my post 8 months ago).

For me (though only tested at this point in the 1.8.3 beta) table cells use, by default the Table Body text style. Changing anything on the Context Toolbar (font, size, etc.) change the assigned paragraph style to Table Body+, to reflect the changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thats a great help thanks I never thought to try and set the fonts with the table selected that way. It works like a charm. The only thing I found was that you had to select the colour from the swatches as it wouldn't set the colour from the colour wheel. So I had to get the colour I wanted in the swatches panel first. (not a real problem just might help other people to know this).

Thanks Again

"I never thought to try and set the fonts with the table selected that way."
– You make me curios: what way have you done it before?

"it wouldn't set the colour from the colour wheel."
– The colour wheel is available, too: hidden in the colour Sliders drop-down menu.

The way I set fonts before was the hard way, type in what you want, select it and set it to the colour and font that you want. Then if you need that style in other sells the quickest way WAS to copy and paste that text from a cell with the right format and then change the text it without deleting the original. I am quite the expert at getting around problems but it's not always the easiest way to go about things. LOL

The colour wheel was there ok I just tried again with a new doc and a new table and if I go straight up to set the colour to red using the wheel it wont do it. If I type something in, select it and then choose red form the wheel it will change to red. I can then select the table as you described and select the red from the swatches and it will set red for the whole table.

18 minutes ago, H Smolka said:

The colour wheel was there ok I just tried again with a new doc and a new table and if I go straight up to set the colour to red using the wheel it wont do it.

I can't reproduce such an issue. – Can you upload a video whit creating a new table + changing the color + typing within a cell; Character Panel + Text Styles' unfolded top visible, too?

476244935_tabletextcolor.jpg.48ab13171bcd21230f357de0ee8e5886.jpg