You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Formatting images for canvas - how to for best quality?

Hi everyone,

I have a specific canvas size that I'm working with and all images are sized identically. What is the best workflow for the highest output quality? I'm currently importing each photo into Affinity, resizing to get it close to the desired dimensions, copy/pasting the image into the canvas, and then using the move tool to dial in the size of the image to best fit the canvas size. Am I losing quality by using the move tool? If so, what's the better way of accomplishing this?

Thanks in advance for the patience and the help, I really appreciate it!

• Staff

Hi Shema :)

Which Affinity app are you using please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that! In Affinity Photo you can use the new crop tools 'Absolute' mode to crop the image to a specific aspect, pixel size and DPI all in one action.

Select the crop tool and change to Absolute Mode, here you can input the pixel size that you wish for the image to be after cropping/resizing & the required DPI. On the right hand side of the DPI box you should see a read out showing the finished pixel size of your image after applying the crop.

You'll find that changing the crop box will now only affect the section of the image that will be retained once the crop is applied. No matter how much of the image is cropped/kept, the resulting image will always be the physical pixel size set previously.

Using this tool you can crop and resize in one move to the exact size required, so you shouldn't need to do any further resizing with the move tool. I hope this helps! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, thanks for the help! I just enabled the absolute crop tool, entered the desired dimensions, and it created the cropping area. Obviously, it is much smaller than the original image and I now need to make the image dimensions smaller to fit the area within the crop outline. What's the best way to do that?

Thanks again for the patience and the help!

Here’s another way to do it:

You would obviously need to replace the 6″ × 4″ dimensions in that example with whatever final size you want.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, Shema said:

Obviously, it is much smaller than the original image and I now need to make the image dimensions smaller to fit the area within the crop outline

You don't, instead make the crop area bigger ( to the size you want) by dragging its nodes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

You don't, instead make the crop area bigger ( to the size you want) by dragging its nodes

Okay, so using the absolute crop tool recommended by Dan is really only for establishing a ratio. Then, you simply use the predefined crop ratio to crop the original and then perform a resize of the original to the desired size. Is that correct?

No, the Absolute Size crop will crop to the pixel dimensions you specify for it.  No matter if you enlarge it or not. 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

No, the Absolute Size crop will crop to the pixel dimensions you specify for it.  No matter if you enlarge it or not. 

Ah! Okay, I see exactly how that works - brilliant. :)

Thanks so much for the help!

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Is there a way to save an absolute crop size setting as a preset that can quickly be selected (vs. manually entering the values each time)?

Yes, click the Cog icon to the left of where it says Absolute Size.  Then click the Hamburger Menu on that dropdown screen

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yes, click the Cog icon to the left of where it says Absolute Size.  Then click the Hamburger Menu on that dropdown screen

This is a game-changer, thank you so much for the help!