You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD Export with Text Layers

Just now, MEB said:

Hi CNicholson,
No, it's still not possible to export text to PSD as editable text.

Ah that's such a shame! Hope you manage to resolve it soon!

It's pretty crucial until you can convert EVERYONE to Affinity  :)  Loving it so far apart from this issue!

• 6 months later...

Well, other software like Clip Studio Paint or Corel Draw or Corel Painter does allow editable text layers when exporting to PSD.

Which means that others could crack the code so to speak.

Let me add that in my experience as a programmer and seeing your great skill on the features of the Affinity Suite that really surpass their competitors overwhelmingly, it really shows that it's not a matter of difficulty or lack of skill (moreover when Affinity shows to have tons of skill) but instead a lack of will to do it.

And having read that this petition comes from 2015, which makes almost a 4-year-old petition, for me proves that it's a deliberate decision in order to force your users AND the clients from your users to adopt your standard. Which can be a valid way to try and not only compete with Adobe but try to also surpass it. Fair enough.

However, the way to convince a customer has never been to offer less than your competitors, but to offer more than them and, in my opinion, philosophies like this are what keeps great software like Affinity to really make the market go BOOM! in their favour.

I forgot to consider that this feature may have been held because of the urgency of releasing other features or new software like Affinity Publisher. If that was the case, let me say that your order of priority is wrong when you make your user base to withhold from using your software when 90% of their clients are going to ask for a fully editable PSD.

I wonder if this post will get approved. I hope it will so you could see how many of your engaged community approves of this so maybe you reconsider your position.

Edited by Sergio Ballesteros
Possible misunderstanding

13 hours ago, Sergio Ballesteros said:

Let me add that in my experience as a programmer and seeing your great skill on the features of the Affinity Suite that really surpass their competitors overwhelmingly, it really shows that it's not a matter of difficulty or lack of skill (moreover when Affinity shows to have tons of skill) but instead a lack of will to do it.

As a programmer, you should know there is one thing other than lack of will that can explain this, & that is lack of time.

As they have mentioned many times, flawlessly exporting editable text to the PSD format is extremely difficult & time consuming, in no small part because Adobe has never published the complete specifications for their editable text format, & has expanded the format over the years to support newer typographic features.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

25 minutes ago, R C-R said:

in no small part because Adobe has never published the complete specifications for their editable text format, & has expanded the format over the years to support newer typographic features.

Right. That means that Serif would have to reverse engineer the PSD editable text format, trying all the different text settings in Photoshop (and possibly combinations) and analyzing the resulting PSD files to see what changed with each changed setting. Then they would know how to produce the PSD file with editable text from Affinity.

And then as Adobe keeps changing the format, Serif would need to keep experimenting, and making further changes to remain compatible.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And then as Adobe keeps changing the format, Serif would need to keep experimenting, and making further changes to remain compatible.

I have no direct experience with apps like Corel Draw or Painter, but from what I have read on the web, even those very expensive apps do not fully support all the current typographic features of Photoshop.

Besides, since Adobe has moved to a subscription model with app updates included in the subscription cost, nothing prevents them from changing the format whenever they want, making this a moving target for all their competitors.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...

Hi guys. Just wanted to add a 'kind' of solution... for this weird issue of Affinity Photo...This app is so superior of Adobe Photoshop in so many levels that it's kind of shocking this 'pro' real life work need feature is not on board... I got a theory: (this is my as a fan of conspiracy theories) Serif is somewhat trying new boundaries in technology under Adobe's umbrella and that's why a very important feature is missing on purpose. Why I think that? the Adobe app of Photoshop for iPad it basically importing Affinity Photo features in it... like exact features that make Affinity Photo really gain popularity... anyway that's other topic. If you happens to still have a copy of Pixelmator (yes, an old and abandone app that stills runs on 64bits like a baby) save your work in PSD and open them in Pixelmator. Replace your text within Pixelmator and and save them again in PSD. Works like a Charm!

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

• 1 month later...

This seems a bit crazy to me, you are designing in Photos and then exporting to open in Photoshop so someone else can work on it as well? The potential headaches that come with collaborative design is mind numbing. I would say stick with Photoshop for now if this is what everyone is using. Trying to keep consistency with out app that does things a certain way and has certain features and then editing and adjusting with a similar app, but different, with different features is not a good idea.... unless I am not understanding what is going on here. 

• 11 months later...