You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Addons Brushes, Styles etc.. NOT coming into Publisher

The Addons  for Affinity Designer and Photo are not automatically included in the Publisher versions of these applications.  I had to manually load them in.  It would be better for all the settings and added brushes, styles etc... loaded into both applications to automatically come into Publisher's version of these applications as well.  I do not know if they are separate from publisher and a check occurs if they exist and the UI's are embedded into publisher if they are OR if they are included directly into the application and only become available if the standalone applications are installed and license is paid version. 

Whatever way, these applications need to be IDENTICAL and from what I see they are not.

5 hours ago, Terry44 said:

... I had to manually load them in. ...

Please describe how you did this.

That fact that the Addons are not there in the StudioLink "versions" is a known issue.
I don't know what the prognosis is on that.
Perhaps someone else has a better answer on that.

But I would like to know how your manual work-around was done.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

But I would like to know how your manual work-around was done.

I don't know what approach @Terry44 might have used, but there are in general two approaches:

(1) In the Photo or Designer application export the items using whatever menu-based approach Photo or Designer provides. Then in the Photo or Designer Persona use the equivalent menu-based import option. This is the safer, and supported, option.

or

(2) Find the files that contain the information (e.g., vector_brushes.propcol or raster_brushes.propcol, for brushes) and copy them from their location in the Photo or Designer application into the corresponding location in Publisher.

If using approach 2, be sure to backup the Publisher data first. But also note that although approach 2 is faster, there are some inherent issues. For example, you might have different sets of raster brushes installed in Designer and Photo, but there will be only one raster_brushes.propcol file in Publisher. So in that case, you will have to use approach 1 for one of the applications.

Also, I do not know how safe approach 2 is if you purchased the applications from the Mac App Store or the Windows Store, and in another thread one of the Serif staff recommended not using approach 2 except with applications purchased from the Affinity Store.

On Windows, the most relevant files are in %appdata%\affinity\<program name>\user in my experience. But a few may be in other sibling folders of user. For example in the profiles or workspaces folder. (I haven't played around with the workspaces folder yet.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

Another work around is to switch to AD/AP from APub (only 2 pages are visible in AD),

The page control on the left side of the Status bar provides access to all the pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, LibreTraining said:

Please describe how you did this.

It is the identical process you have to do in the stand alone application, you just repeat that process within the Publisher versions.   All the vector based brushes end up in Designer and the pixel or rastor brushes end up in Photo.

Click the appropriate section within Publisher..  Designer or Photo.
Select for example the Brushes panel and click on the drop down menu on the far right of the panel and choose "Import Brushes..."

Then you do the same process for Assets, Styles, Swatches etc...  
which and what ever additional content you have.  

You just have to import everything again manually into both programs.  Note that the brushes you import will automatically divert to the appropriate application, Designer or Photo, so if you do not see what you just imported switch applications and you will see them.  I made the mistake of repeating the imports because I did not see the brushes I just imported and ended up have 5 copies of the brush categories imported into Photo / Designer, which I had to manually delete the copies.    

In Publisher if you have all three applications, Designer is primarily Vector..  Photo is Rastor image manipulation with all the appropriate tools for that...    and you can easily switch between all three to work on the content.  Can be confusing when looking for a certain brush and you realize you are in the wrong application section.   Saves confusion though having everything separated instead of in one massive UI.