You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v1.7.1 - Bug with Placing an APh document

nwhit

Had an existing eps file (a footer block with pic, graphic and text). Converted to PDF, opened in APhoto, fixed a few things. Saved using APhoto 1.7.1. Placed the approximately 8"x 3.5" element into APub, but as can be seen in the screenshot (graphic on left pasteboard), the item came in on an approx. A4 page size. The APhoto file is correctly sized when viewed in APhoto. If it is saved as a TIFF, the TIFF is the correct smaller dimensions when placed into APub, but not when placed as an APhoto file. 

I ended up creating a new APhoto doc and copied/pasted the elements/layers from the original APhoto file into the new document. The resultant APhoto placed correctly into APub (center bottom of page). 

Not sure where the bug is, whether APhoto did a poor job of opening and saving the original PDF, or if APub is having an issue placing certain APhoto files. 

PDF import, place in APub error.jpeg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

On 6/22/2019 at 5:53 PM, nwhit said:

an existing eps file

How large was the eps file?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Correction: I think it may have been from an A4 multi-page publication pdf, opened in APh (opening a single page), grabbed the artwork items, then put into a new APh file to create the block as an APh art element file. The items copied and pasted into the new APh file were not A4 but were as shown when opening the APh file. However, when placed into APub, the file retains a much larger bounding box. The APh file opens and shows within APh as the correct size, but changes when placed into APub. When the APh file is opened with APh, the document and canvas sizes are correct, but not when placed within APub.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

I think that the page size has migrated like a ghost somehow with the bit you wanted.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I think that the page size has migrated like a ghost somehow with the bit you wanted.

Agreed! Not sure if it is an APh issue or an APub issue/bug, but figured it had to be reported someplace. It is strange how when the APh file is opened, everything shows it as having the right dimensions. Until it is placed into APub.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

...but it is interesting that when placing the APh file into APub, the "frame" shows the graphic items at the top of a too large frame (see top screenshot). But these art elements/items within the original PDF were all at the bottom of that page. So it not only kept a ghost page size, it moved everything to the top of that ghost page. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

2 minutes ago, nwhit said:

it moved everything to the top of that ghost page. 

Perhaps close to the 0,0 origin.

Interestingly, when I open the APh file in ADes, the page size is correct and right in Doc setup. When I open a TIFF from the APh file in ADes, again the dimensions are correct. It's just when placing it into APub that it has the strange dimensions.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Just tried it again using APhoto beta 146 and it still does the same thing

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Just tried with the new APub beta 420 and still same problem.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022