You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Gutter Adjust Disappears/moves - Bug

nwhit

Just noticed that the ability to drag gutters within a text frame seems to vanish after working with a text frame. Not sure what causes it to go away, but when I create a new text frame, add columns, try to drag columns/gutters, it works fine. But as soon as I stretch or resize the text frame, I can no longer adjust the gutters (by grabbing the gutters and moving them). Thus once a text frame is changed in size, cannot drag the gutters. 

High Sierra, Metal on.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Aha! Just figured it out! Much like the issues with tables, once the size of the text frame is changed, the location of the gutter drag handles is no longer aligned to the new gutter locations! If you hover over the columns of text, you will eventually see the handles, and they actually work! But a bit of a bug if you don't know what's going on! 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Just downloaded the new beta 420 and it appears from initial testing it is fixed. That wold be great!

Just tried it on an an existing document and it sometimes works and other times doesn't. In some cases, can't find the adjustment point/cursor at all until the text frame is changed to different columns and widths manually. But still fairly often, the drag handles are still misplaced. Got my hopes up too quickly! 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

As an update, it now appears that PERHAPS if you open a doc made in 1.7.1, the bug is still there with existing text frames. If you create a new text frame in beta 1.7.2 (in a new doc or even in an older doc), the bug seems to be gone. While that is helpful, would mean a lot of work to "repair" all existing docs done in 1.7.1 by having to replace most of the existing text frames.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Gutter drag handles become misaligned when text frame is scaled) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the changes/fixes will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon