You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit in Photo doesn't round-trip

I can place an image then choose to edit it in Photo but I can't return to publisher without closing then switching to publisher and opening again.

Not really sure if this counts as a bug but it is not good enough in my opinion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Old Bruce, I have been having a play and just pressed the Photo Persona rather than edit in, to go back to Publisher I just pressed the persona and I was straight back in...it was very slick. Does it not work for you in the Personas?

Okay, I guess we are not meant to use the separate applications then.

But try applying a Levels adjustment and see what happens. It is backwards or just busted in the persona and the round-trip.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I noticed too that when the 1.7.1 updates were released the Edit in Publisher menu items were still missing from the File menu.

I do hope that gets fixed sooner rather than later, as only the "primary" personas are accessible from within Publisher and there may be times we would like to use the others; the "Edit in..." mechanism should be great for that, but needs to make the round trip...

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

But try applying a Levels adjustment and see what happens. It is backwards or just busted in the persona and the round-trip

Hi Bruce, I have had a look at this and it works fine for me, if I adjust the white level (2nd slider down) to the left the image lightens, if I adjust the output white level (at the bottom) the image darkens.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I can place an image then choose to edit it in Photo but I can't return to publisher without closing then switching to publisher and opening again

If you place an Affinity Photo file you can then select it and then click edit document, this opens a new tab with any layers in place, choose the photo persona and make your edits, then just close the tab...no need to save. Your edited version then appears in your publisher document, this only changes the file in your Publisher document, the original is unaffected.

If you place a jpg or png file then all you need to do is select the photo persona to edit it. If you choose edit picture from the context menu a new tab opens, the problem is that closing that tab prompts for a save. I do not see the need to use that option now that the Photo persona is active.

I think that we have got used to working in the original method of edit in, I have used the new personas a few times now and find it far better.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 08.34.25.png

14 hours ago, fde101 said:

I noticed too that when the 1.7.1 updates were released the Edit in Publisher menu items were still missing from the File menu.

I do hope that gets fixed sooner rather than later, as only the "primary" personas are accessible from within Publisher and there may be times we would like to use the others; the "Edit in..." mechanism should be great for that, but needs to make the round trip...

Agreed, for the majority of my work the personas are better. It would be nice to have the full round trip for the odd occasion where you need to use your plug-ins etc. Hopefully this will come in the next round of Betas.

2 hours ago, Murfee said:

It would be nice to have the full round trip for the odd occasion where you need to use your plug-ins etc.

Or customize the development of RAW files being brought in, using the Develop persona in Photo...