You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Highlight Clipping not identifying Clipping in RED

Hi have just got into trying out the new version of Affinity Photo.

On using the Clipping Alarms

Shadows quite happily shows any clipping in BLUE

Using Highlights the clipping is shown by a "no image background of clear squares" which is very hard to view.

In the previous version it quite happily identified Highlight clipping in RED

I cant find where i can change this so I have Highlight Clipping identified as RED?

@George Williams Try using curves and moving the top node down the right side and then right top left at the top, it didn't show for me initially but once I'd "waggled it" it started to display red as I moved the slider to the left.

I think there is something off because if you bow the master line in curves you practically wash the image out before it starts to display red clipping indicators. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem with highlight clipping — I increased the exposure on this image to show the problem. Tone clipping has the same effect.

Affinity Photo v 1.8.1
See system specs in the image.

Update:
Metal is ON and Assistant Manager is set to RAW output format to RGB (32 bit HDR). All working correctly, including the Saturation slider.
Issue seems to be in the RGB 16 bit RAW output format setting only.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 6.45.14 pm.png

Edited by dhp
Updated results.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi MEB

Thank you for picking up this thread again and for letting me know the status of the problem.

I have the clippings issue on two separate Macs - but both 2012 vintage! My Mac mini has the Intel HD 4000 1536 MB graphics card that you identify. The iMac, which partially displays the same problem - showing highlights and tonal clippings but not shadows - has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB card.

In response to another thread, NotMyFault suggested turning off metal in the performance tab. This does appear to be an effective workaround on the Mac Mini, but not the iMac, which wasn't running metal in the first place.

I'm just beginning to turn my mind to upgrading the mini to the M1 version, so perhaps that will sort out the issue, at least for me.

Cheers

Albert

• 1 month later...

Hi MEB

I have the same issue with a 2013 iMac running Catalina and using Intel Iris Pro 1536MB graphics chip. The highlight alarm shows as transparent (useless), shadows as blue (fine) and mid tones as white, not yellow.

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Fiona

• Staff

Hi @Albert La Brador,
Sorry the delay getting back to you and thanks for your feedback. The issue with the MacMini is the same as we have logged and turning hardware acceleration off does fix the issue (at the cots of performance). Regarding the the NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M, in the logs we have with NVIDIA chips (650M and 750M) they are couple with one of the chips mentioned above ( Intel Iris Pro 1536MB and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB). Do you mind attaching a screenshot of the specs of your mac (menu Apple > About This Mac) - make sure you hide the serial number - so i can update the logs?
We have no reports of these issues with the M1 Macs. I believe they are specific to a couple chips in old/vintage Macs only.

@FionaJ,
Thank for your feedback. I'm updating/bumping the existing report to bring this up to devs attention again. As said above this issues seems to be restricted to a couple old chips and as such may take a bit to be fixed (lower priority). In your case disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences should fix the issue. As long as the performance hit doesn't affect your daily work it may be a solution until this is eventually fixed. Thanks for your support/understanding.

• 3 months later...