You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Styles not labeled when shown as grid

In the latest update of Affinity Design ver 1.7.0.367, when you create a new style in the Style Panel, and you choose to *not* show the styles as a list, (As in version 1.6.5.123 ) currently no label is displayed to identify the style.

Style panel as list.jpg

Style panel  list not selected.jpg

Edited by Steven Casey
Added image for clarity

Didn't 1.6 work that way, too? I don't recall ever seeing labels except in list mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In 1.6 for custom symbols there was no list mode. The symbols were simply created line by line. The was an option to rename the symbol. In the latest version the option still remains. But only shows in list mode. It requires the user to scroll. When not listed at least 3 to 6 symbols are views at once. Having labels is useful to assign line weights and avoid mis selection of line styles. Particularly for my purpose, which is drawing origami diagrams. For consistency and intuitiveness the label are good idea, when you toggle the list option.

I'm a bit confused now. Your original post was about Styles, but your second one mentions Symbols.

But I'll defer to someone else who remembers more about how 1.6 handled it, or still has a copy installed :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In 1.6 for custom symbols there was no list mode. The symbols were simply created line by line. The was an option to rename the symbol. In the latest version the option still remains. But only shows in list mode. It requires the user to scroll. When not listed at least 3 to 6 symbols are views at once. Having labels is useful to assign line weights and avoid mis selection of line styles. Particularly for my purpose, which is drawing origami diagrams. For consistency and intuitiveness the label are good idea, when you toggle the list option.

Sorry my bad.i was talking about styles. What I said applies to styles not symbols. Everything I mentioned actually applies to the styles panel. I must have been half asleep. I still believe labels should apply when you toggle the list option. That’s how it worked in previous versions, with out the list option.  And if not,  why even have the option to rename when list mode is disabled. My apologies for the typo. 

Edited by Steven Casey
To clarify

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm a bit confused now. Your original post was about Styles, but your second one mentions Symbols.

But I'll defer to someone else who remembers more about how 1.6 handled it, or still has a copy installed :)

Just to clarify, it was the style panel I was referring to. But I was referring to the cogs that represent the style. I slipped up in calling them a symbol. I really hope a label can be enabled in the non list mode.