You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making things overcomplicated for text not aligning to Baseline Grid?

1. Baseline Grid enabled.

2. Text frame with text inside with Paragraph panel setting  "Align to Baseline Grid" unchecked.

3. Check "Ignore Baseline Grid" in Text Frame panel.

Why do we need a second confirmation, that the text should not align to Baseline Grid? Inside paragraph should be enough. In the last few minutes I was thinking about possible scenarios for "Ignore Baseline Grid", but found none. Maybe someone has a scenario for me?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Do you have to do both 2 and 3, or is doing one of them enough?

If you only have to do one of them, then:

1. Having it in the Paragraph Panel (or, in the Text Style) lets you set the option for individual paragraphs in a Text Frame; and
  2. Having it in the Text Frame lets you force it for the entire frame, regardless of the individual paragraph text styles that are used.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In Paragraph panel "Align to Baseline" is OFF and despite I have to check "Ignore Baseline". So I was wondering why the first "setting" is not enough.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Those are two different things.  There is a global baseline grid for the entire document, and a separate baseline grid that can be configured local to the text frame.

The "Align ..." setting is used to enable the local baseline grid within the text frame.

The "Ignore Baseline Grid" option tells the frame to ignore the global baseline grid that would otherwise be applied across the entire document.

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

No, sorry. Have a look at the video.

In the Text Frame Studio you have the Use Baseline Grid unchecked but you don't have the Ignore Baseline Grid checked in the General area of the Studio. Check that and all should work as expected.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sorry, I was confusing the "Align to..." in the Paragraph panel with the "Use..." in the Text Frame panel.

The "Use..." option in the Text Frame panel creates a local baseline grid for that frame.

I hadn't actually noticed the "Align..." option in the Paragraph panel before.  I'll need to play with that later to figure out what it does.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

In the Text Frame Studio you have the Use Baseline Grid unchecked but you don't have the Ignore Baseline Grid checked in the General area of the Studio. Check that and all should work as expected.

This is the point. Why is it not enough to say in Paragraph or Text Style to ignore the Baseline Grid?

------

So I can choose which baseline grid I want my Heading (for example) to snap to while the rest of the text in the frame floats blissfully unaware of any baseline grid. It does have uses.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Sorry, I am still not convinced. Ignore inside the frame means everything inside the frame has to ignore the Baseline, because it is a-per-frame setting. WHY an extra function while you can easily achieve the same with text formatting? 

------

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Sorry, I am still not convinced. Ignore inside the frame means everything inside the frame has to ignore the Baseline, because it is a-per-frame setting. WHY an extra function while you can easily achieve the same with text formatting? 

May be that you never have to do this. There is some text set to ignore the baseline there is some text set to use the baseline. I get to choose whether or not to use the 12 pt Frame (pink) baseline or the 14 pt Blue Spread baseline. I can move the frame around and have the Using Baseline text Jump or stick to the baseline in the text frame. Regardless the bulk of the text (Alice) is not on either baseline. It is useful. And you now know how to turn off the function if you do not want to use it.

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

WHY an extra function while you can easily achieve the same with text formatting? 

Because in most cases it will be turned off for an entire frame and having one place to turn it off for the frame is more efficient for the user?

There is also a curious corner-case: if you have two frames that are linked, you can set one frame to ignore the grid and the other not to.  If text reflows between the frames, the text in one frame obeys the grid and the other ignores it - if you had formatted the paragraphs instead it would not behave that way.