You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afphoto files set to "Open in" Affinity Designer

Why are files from the newest Photo beta set to "Open in" Designer?  They have the .afphoto extension but if you click on one to open it from the Finder or a pictures folder instead of from within the Photo app, it will open in Designer.  Is this related to the blank file icons thing?

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

Right-click on one of the Affinity Photo files (.afphoto), select Get Info from the contextual menu, then look for a section called Open with. Click on the drop down there and choose Affinity Photo, then click on the button Change All... and click Continue in the dialog that will appear to associate .afphoto files with Affinity Photo.

Thanks, but I know how to reset them correctly but I was wondering why they are not assigned to Affinity Photo to begin with since they are Photo files, saved from Photo.  And I was really wondering if that had any bearing on the disappearing file icons, or I guess I should say, blank icons.

No matter what I do... Both type of files are set to the same program. Even in a new user account.

If I 'Change All' .afphoto files to Affinity Photo, the .afdesign files are also changed to Affinity Photo.

And then... If I "fix" the .afdesign files to Affinity Designer... the .afphoto files are also set to Affinity Designer.

I noticed this 'bug' since the very first Affinity Photo Beta.

The best way out of that is to manually select all of the .afphoto files, then do a Command/Control/i (that's an i as in Info) to bring up a Multiple Item Info panel.  Change Open With to Affinity Photo Beta and close the info window.  Repeat the process with the .afdesign files.

The best way out of that is to manually select all of the .afphoto files, then do a Command/Control/i (that's an i as in Info) to bring up a Multiple Item Info panel.  Change Open With to Affinity Photo Beta and close the info window.  Repeat the process with the .afdesign files.

Thanks!!, I know your solution could help... The problem is nobody have ALL .afdesign or .afphoto files in the same folder to do a group selection.

The 'Change All' option is the one that should (have? had?) work in the first place, but somehow it doesn't.

MEB, any thoughts?

• Staff

I know LilleG ^_^. That's why i´m asking macCesar if he is running Mountain Lion too, to check if this is related specifically to that OS. I don't have a machine running Mountain Lion here, only Mavericks and Yosemite and both have worked correctly for me since the beginning (and i install all the betas of both programs).

I'm running Yosemite...

But MED... Maybe this can help solve the problem...

ANY .afdesign File -> Get Info -> Open With -> App Store... -> Look at the search field: uti:com.seriflabs.quicklook

ANY .afphoto File -> Get Info -> Open With -> App Store... -> Look at the search field: uti:com.seriflabs.quicklook <-- SAME AS afdesign

Comparison with other files:

.psd file ----- > Search criteria: uti:com.adobe.illustrator.ai-image

.ai file ------ > Search criteria: uti:com.adobe.photoshop-image

Noticed the two adobe files says their company and app name ??

And the .afphoto and .afdesign files both says the company but NO app name... ONLY quicklook !!!

Just to join the discussion, I have still the issues outlined here (same as reported above):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5826-file-extensions-not-honoured/

What macCesar said in his last post, sounds interesting … By the way, I have grown accustomed to Right Click > Open with … when using Affinity files of any kind. But this should not be the solution … 

Cheers, Alex  :)

Just to join the discussion, I have still the issues outlined here (same as reported above):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5826-file-extensions-not-honoured/

What macCesar said in his last post, sounds interesting … By the way, I have grown accustomed to Right Click > Open with … when using Affinity files of any kind. But this should not be the solution … 

Cheers, Alex  :)

Hi Alex... I also rely on Right Click -> Open With.

And you are right, this should not be the solution. ;)

• Staff

Hi A_B_C,

Thanks for your feedback and the link to that old thread. Seems i missed it.

@macCesar

Yes, something's missing here.

Out of curiosity. This started to happen without you ever changed the app assigned to affinity files, or do you have changed it at some point? I'm curious why this never happened to me...

I'm logging this to be looked at.

I think this happened after I decided to follow the beta program and changed the .afdesign files to get opened by the ever new betas … and after Affinity Photo beta appeared, of course …  :unsure:

Hi A_B_C,

Thanks for your feedback and the link to that old thread. Seems i missed it.

@macCesar

Yes, something's missing here.

Out of curiosity. This started to happen without you ever changed the app assigned to affinity files, or do you have changed it at some point? I'm curious why this never happened to me...

I'm logging this to be looked at.

MEB

I think it all started when I downloaded the first Affinity Photo Beta... Because, when I double clicked a designer file, Affinity Photo Beta opened the file.

Just did the Get Info App Store thing on a photo file that is set to Open with Affinity Photo Beta and what I get is uti:com.seriflabs.affinity.  Same thing for a Designer file.

You mean on the app store? … Indeed, same here …  :unsure:

APhoto: uti:com.seriflabs.quicklook

ADesigner: uti:com.seriflabs.quicklook

Thanks!!!

Now I know I'm not the only one!!! :) (y)

Just did the Get Info App Store thing on a photo file that is set to Open with Affinity Photo Beta and what I get is uti:com.seriflabs.affinity.  Same thing for a Designer file.

Thanks LilleG for sharing your results!!

• Staff

Ok. Thanks. I never changed the application assigned to the files manually. Even after the start of Affinity Photo Beta it still worked as it should. Anyway i'm finding strange that quicklook reference. Maybe there's a reason for it that I'm not aware. I will refer this thread to Andy before accepting this as a bug.

Ok. Thanks. I never changed the application assigned to the files manually. Even after the start of Affinity Photo Beta it still worked as it should. Anyway i'm finding strange that quicklook reference. Maybe there's a reason for it that I'm not aware. I will refer this thread to Andy before accepting this as a bug.

Thanks MEB, 

Remember a few betas back (both AD and AP), we had some problems with Icon Previews NOT showing in the Finder and also with QuickLook only showing a blank document???

Maybe the uti:com.seriflabs.quicklook has something to do with that !!! :unsure:

If I create a file in Designer MAS and save it, it is associated with Affinity Designer.  But…if I do the Open with App Store on it, this is what I get:

"AD MAS test.afdesign" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. 

What's going on with that?  I've always had Security set to only allow applications from the Mac App Store and identified developers.  But this never happened until the last download of the latest betas.  Can't assign it to a particular one because I downloaded and installed them one right after the other.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.