A_B_C

File extensions not honoured

Let me apologize in advance, if you are aware of this already ... but the file extensions .afphoto and .afdesign are not honoured in the Finder of OS X Lion. Which means: double clicking on an .afphoto file will launch Affinity Designer by default. Now, if you change this behavior for the respective Photo file through the Finder’s info panel and apply this change to all .afphoto files, the .afdesign files are now opened by Affinity Photo ...

:unsure:

Hi everybody, 

I wonder if anyone else experiences this issue … let me just ask: is this an OS X Lion issue only?

Well, this is quite annoying I must confess … rebuilding the launch services database has not the slightest effect …  :(

Hopefully it will get sorted out soon …

Thanks in advance, 

Alex

Thank you both, Gear maker and MEB,

I tried to reproduce the issue on my Mavericks machine … and unfortunately Mavericks shows the very same behavior. I created two test files, Test.afphoto in Affinity Photo Beta (1.1.2.23003) and Test.afdesign in Affinity Designer Beta (1.1.2.23074). Now please have a look at my screen cast to see what happens when I try to reconfigure the connection between app and file.

(1.) At first I tried to reassign the Test.afdesign file to Designer Beta. But when I clicked "Change all …" on the Info panel, the Test.afphoto file got assigned to Designer Beta too. And the file type changed from "Affinity Photo" to "Affinity Openable".

(2.) Now I tried to reassign the Test.afphoto file to Photo Beta. And as you can see, when I clicked "Change all …" on the Info panel the Test.afdesign file got assigned to Photo Beta again.

It seems I am trapped in an endless circle ...  :o

Since I can’t explain what I am doing wrong, I would be very grateful for advice of any kind,

Alex

A little postscript concerning my Lion machine. I trashed com.apple.LaunchServices.plist from the preferences folder of my library and restarted. After the restart .afphoto files were opened correctly by Photo Beta and .afdesign files were opened by the Designer MAS version (1.1.2).

But as soon as I reassigned the .afdesign files to Designer Beta (using the method shown in my screen cast above), I found myself in the situation I described again.

And there is a very strange issue on Lion: Although the Info panel shows "Open with Affinity Designer Beta" for my Test.afdesign file (which is correct), the file gets opened with Photo Beta (which is incorrect). Please have a look at my screen cast.

Very strange ...  :unsure:

I can replicate this issue when using Change All... from the Get Info screen. I will log this with our developers! Thanks for reporting :)

I can get around this issue by Right clicking a .afdesign file and selecting Open With > Other, select Affinity Designer Beta.app and make sure Always Open With is ticked. Repeat this for .afphoto. The files should then open in the correct app!

I can get around this issue by Right clicking a .afdesign file and selecting Open With > Other, select Affinity Designer Beta.app and make sure Always Open With is ticked. Repeat this for .afphoto. The files should then open in the correct app!

Leigh, you are my *hero* …  :D

The only issue that remains (apart from the fact that one has to correct every single file that way), is that I get a warning message on opening AP files … I fear that there is still something wrong … let’s see what happens when AP hits the app store …

post-1198-0-71171400-1436010317_thumb.png

A_B_C, see if this does away with that error message.  I had gotten it a few times and this seemed to correct it.  

Go to (OS) Settings/Security & Privacy and under "Allow applications downloaded from:"  check "Anywhere."

Thanks for the advice, Lille, but unfortunately that does not work on my system (Lion) … I know you are on Mountain Lion …  :)