You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

text tab vs. table tab

I'm wondering if there is a bug – or whether tabulator characters are actually used differently (as in the text (shown as double >>)) compared to a table (as a single>).

When I copy/paste a tabbed text from a text frame into a table with no cell selected but with cursor in the first cell then all text from the pasteboard, tab-chars included, appear within the first cell. Instead I would expect all tab-chars from pasteboard to get converted as next-cell-signals, like it happens when all cells get selected before paste. (and like it works in Excel f.i.)

1606879668_tabtextpastetable.jpg.36e65bda4e9cea5506eb48cec99d7bf3.jpg

Are there different sorts of "tab" in Text vs. Table?
If yes, is there a way to select those separately, for instance to find & replace just one kind? It appears that F&R does not find those tab-chars which mark a cell-change.

When I select all cells in those two tables and copy/paste into text frames then I get to the origin text with a different amount of tab-chars only.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You don't need to select all the cells to get the behavior you want. You need at least two cells selected.

Publisher has always worked that way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, thomaso said:

(as in the text (shown as double >>)) compared to a table (as a single>).

I'm not seeing any single > characters

58 minutes ago, thomaso said:

When I select all cells in those two tables and copy/paste into text frames then I get to the origin text with a different amount of tab-chars only.

I'm not seeing that either. Do you have screenshots of this?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You don't need to select all the cells to get the behavior you want. You need at least two cells selected. 

Walt, thank you. I haven't been aware of this. – It's even a little different, and easier:

Now I noticed that the text cursor hovering over a table cells near a cells edge changes to black arrow. When I click in that moment the boarder(s) get selected + the cell, too. (UI: dark blue stroke + light blue fill)

588187983_cellselectiontopastetabbedtext.jpg.e8031b73c64990c1fb6793dfc0825fb7.jpg

So, with just one cell selected I am able to paste the tabbed text from pasteboard in the expected way to make the text run into the cells instead of stick in one cell only. It does not matter which cell egde got selected (top/right/bottom/left).

48 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'm not seeing any single > characters

I see the single > in table cells only & only one per cell (different to the double >>)

34723089_tabsymbolsintable.jpg.b2737f0b0fba10f1a5fdb7dd0c8c1911.jpg

55 minutes ago, carl123 said:
1 hour ago, thomaso said:

I'm not seeing that either. Do you have screenshots of this?

The different amount of >> results from the different amount in the tables content. All selected cells, even empty, create one >> in the text frame after paste. It is expected behaviour, I just mentioned it to show the different ocurence and convertion of single > into double >>.

1769933690_tablepastetextframe.jpg.3ee128117290444b8494b200381fdd22.jpg

Ok, this is what I get.  I think this may be due to a difference between MAC and Windows. 

On Windows I do not see the single > character in my tables

tablefin.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.