You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatically jump to a layer in the layer window when selected from workspace

When I double click something on my workspace to edit it, even though it selects that layer in the layers menu, if its way down in the layers list I cant see it in order to duplicate/add effects etc- it would be great if in the layers window it jumped to that layer making it instantly visible instead of having to scroll through to find it. I hope that makes sense. 

If that didnt make sense, hopefully I can show better with this screenshot. See, here, you can see I have selected the text layer to edit "You're invited to celebrate" but in the layers panel, it's further down the list. It would be great if the layers panel jumped to that layer.

image.thumb.png.c311bd2ba9a35dc40e4d2a756bcdeeb5.png

This sounds great in theory, but if the layer is buried inside another layer that is collapsed (such as a master page object) this would require expanding the other layers, which I personally would find to be annoying at times.

This should either be an option that can be enabled in preferences or something invoked manually in a context menu or maybe the hamburger menu of the layers panel ("Reveal selection in layers panel" or similar).

28 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This should either be an option that can be enabled in preferences or something invoked manually in a context menu or maybe the hamburger menu of the layers panel ("Reveal selection in layers panel" or similar).

From what I know this option is already available: 'Preferences > User Interface > Show Selection in Layers Panel'.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 hours ago, dominik said:

this option is already available

Yes, it does if for me, including opening a collapsed layer.

Unfortunately it does NOT work in the "Resource Manager". There, if I select an object on page which is used more than once (and therefore sorted in a folder in Resource Manager) it appears that Resource Manager always highlightes the first list item and is unable to open a collapsed folder to highlight the truly selected object in its list.

– That's a pity. I'd appreciate to have it working in "Resource Manager", too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, J Selvey said:

I found it today! Make a selection and Ctrl + K! (Or right click selection and 'Find in Layers')

Isn't it even easier for you to have it work automatically? – As dominik mentioned there is a preference:

1999650505_showinlayerspanel.jpg.a53781712e6b79154489ee16db61ba93.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1