You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Layers still editable when hidden

Hi there, first post here.

I am running Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 on Windows 10 (I have Home on my desktop and Pro on my Surface Book 2).

Today I discovered that when hiding a layer, it can still be modified.  I went to erase something in another layer but did not click the intended layer in the Layers panel.  I was confused why nothing was happening and it turned out that I was erasing from the layer that was still selected, but hidden.

In competitors' editing software, a hidden layer cannot be modified and throws a warning dialog at you when you attempt to draw in one that is hidden.  Without a warning like that, it can cause undesired destructive edits.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

• 1 year later...

massive +1 to this

More than once I've spent ages working with for example the clone brush only to discover at some point I've inadvertently added a second nose to someone on another layer. 🤦‍♂️

On 4/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Gabe said:

This is by design.

really?!
I find it baffling that a creative software package lets you work on and edit something you can't see. I can't think how that could ever be useful in any circumstance.
It's like driving a car with closed curtains in the windows  🤣

(ps I looked in feature requests and searched but couldn't find where this had moved to)

1 hour ago, Anton Deck said:

(ps I looked in feature requests and searched but couldn't find where this had moved to)

As Gabe indicated, it’s been moved from its original location to the ‘Feature Requests & Suggestions’ subforum. Look at the ‘breadcrumb trail’ at the top of the page.

Home > Affinity Support > Feature Requests & Suggestions > Feedback for Affinity Photo on Desktop

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)