You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Background" layer

Hello,

I've have been playing with the Affinity Photo Beta and it looks very promising in terms of a Photoshop alternative!

But I have a question about the background layer when you create a new file. When I create a new file, what looks to be a background layer (in white) is created in the application. But this "background" doesn't show up as a separate layer in the layers panel. So you can't delete it. If you think of it, you can make the background transparent by checking the appropriate box when creating a new file. But if you don't do that, you're kind of stuck with this big white area...

Or am I missing something?

Is there a way to access the background?

Thanks!

Mary

• Staff

Hi Better-Photography,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That white in the default color of the canvas when you create a new empty document (there's simply no layers at this point). If you prefer it transparent you can set it as transparent in the new document dialog box. If you instead open an image to work with,  then the background layer will be that image (locked by default).

Hi!

Thanks for the response! And for the Welcome!

Is there any way to delete that canvas or make it transparent once you've already created a document?

Thanks,

Mary

Just click the check box below the lock in the layer panel, add a new layer, start painting or paste part of an image. Unlock the background layer, delete it. Use the export persona to save a selection as a *.png file or use export to save the image as a *.png file. 

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.