You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advert text changing when importing PDF into AD and AP

Hi

I've got an advert a customer sent me in pdf that I needed to open up to convert it from RGB to CYMK and to check the quality of it before I put it into my magazine.  However when I open the file up the text on the left hand side of the advert has gone all squashed up and you can't read it.  If I open it in Photoshop then it is fine, but if I open it in AD or AP it is unreadable.  I'm not sure why it is doing it and how to stop it happening.  Both programs say I have all the fonts used so it's not replacing the fonts.

Thanks

Healthy H20 May19 original.pdf

I've tried almost all PDF options and nothing brings that text in correctly. Exporting as PSD will get it open but it will be a single pixel layer. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

53 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

nothing brings that text in correctly

The text isn’t being brought in as text here (in AD on iPad). It’s showing as an image masked by a ‘Curves’ layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It might work if you convert the text to outline shapes, if it’s being converted to curves anyway why not do it in photoshop first.

@JoBrown Used wrong terminology meant to say shapes not outlines.

Update: This works

Healthy H20 May19 original - text converted to shapes.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm trying not to use Photoshop any more which is why I'm trying to sort this out for AP or AD.  I'd rather work out the problem in AP.

Thanks for that.  So can i convert the text to shapes in AD and AP when I open the file up?

1 hour ago, JoBrown said:

I'm trying not to use Photoshop any more which is why I'm trying to sort this out for AP or AD.  I'd rather work out the problem in AP.

Thanks for that.  So can i convert the text to shapes in AD and AP when I open the file up?

Got ya, unfortunately the damage would already be done, The ads are cheesy with the 3D effects and this is the cause of the problem,  so not having those and using a stronger font like Impact might help, when you start to turn the converted texts layers off you can see whats happening. In all fairness to Affinity Photo it does make a better job of importing than Gimp, Sketch, Inkscape and a dedicated PDF app. 

Redoing the text is the only option in Affinity Photo. I've just noticed the background is raised, probably due to the shadow effect, I found this when trying to replace the text and turned the "Never carry bottled water home again" layers off,  so in this instance Photoshop is the only recourse to edit this ad.
1024789374_ScreenShot2019-04-06at07_38_10.png.3de81273732701ee3ffd6827a5dd5062.png

If it were me I’d be itching to start from scratch — see what I did there? — and bring the style into the 21st century, but they say the customer is always right! Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion that ‘Supplied or Fitted’ should be ‘Supplied & fitted’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion that ‘Supplied or Fitted’ should be ‘Supplied & fitted’.

Folks buy stuff and intend to do the work themselves then realize the job is farr too difficult for their skill set and hire a tradesman to do the fitting. But in this case I think you are right, unlike the customer who is always right (but is wrong).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.